Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys...I have a pretty big announcement to make. This post is epic so bare with me.

As some of you know, I've been working on a little side project for the past several months and I'm finally at a point where I can disclose some information to you all. Believe me when I say it was pure torture having to hold it in.

I am however, unable to disclose too much at this time but I wanted to share with my WCF homies how it all transpired. Before I tell you what it is, a little background information is well deserved.

One of the silly things I'm known for with the crew of WCF is my constant habit of coming up with ridiculous inventions! Just ask Jason! :mrgreen: But in all sincerity, I think I've stumbled upon something that is truly special.

Those of you who have been following the WCTT knows of my suck ass performances at the Deep lake tournaments earlier this year. I've been getting my ass kicked with 4 consecutive skunk performances. What frustrated me most was the fact that I should have had better results. I kid you not, I lost all my potential keepers due to either my suck ass hooksets and/or poor hook performance. In an effort to improve and fix my issues, I tried several of the top premium brands and styles of hooks in search of the "best". I couldn't conclude that there was one brand or style that stood out. The only conclusion I came to was that there had to be a better way.

Preliminary research revealed to me that the modern fishing hook, in essence, has not changed in concept for over a hundred years. We pretty much use the same fishing hook that dudes in the 1800's were using. Granted there have been significant improvements in the metal fabrication and the virtually unlimited selection of hooks for a multitude of applications, BUT, the general concept is the same. Think about that for a minute. We've made leaps and bounds in the last decade alone. I'm almost embarrassed to say it, but the biggest recent news in the fishing world was the RocketRod. You know, the fishing toy that shoots out a bobber and hook like a gun.

With that said, I'm extremely excited to announce I have completed my patent application for a new sport fishing hook. My patent application is represented by Chicago's top intellectual property firm, Brinks, Hofer, Gilson & Leone, which is scheduled to be filed with the U.S.P.T.O. by the end of the coming week. Can you tell I get a kick out of telling folks who is representing my patent?? LOL.

I've invested $10,000 to protect my intellectual property if your at all wondering how serious I am. I am now at the point of no return as they say! LOL!

Ok…so what the heck is it?!?! Now for the fun part!

I have designed an entirely new concept in fishing hooks. Dare I say, revolutionary! It's a totally barbless and weedless/snag-proof hook system that offers ultimate hookset (fish holding) power. Once the hooks embed, the fish is virtually locked in until you remove the hooks. Imagine a hook that grips tighter and tighter the more the fish fights you. Now get this…it's better for the fish too!!!

If there can ever be a fish-friendly fishing hook, this would be it. The totally barbless feature of my hook significantly reduces collateral damage commonly associated with conventional barbed hooks. It also makes the hook removal process quick and easy, greatly reducing the time to unhook and release a fish. Quicker release and less damage can only equate to a healthier fishery. How awesome is that!!!

My hook can adapt and integrate with every lure known to man to significantly improve it's performance! It's a radically simple concept that can be inexpensively manufactured.

I am now in the process of preparing my business plan to secure investors for the purpose of developing, manufacturing and licensing my patent pending design.

I'm quite overwhelmed with the entire process of intellectual property but am stone cold determined to see this to fruition.

If anybody has any words of wisdom from a similar experience, or knows someone I should contact regarding the start up of my new company, please let me know. Don't hesitate to PM me.

Let me pose a couple questions to get some feedback and to acquire some market research.

1. Would you buy and use my hook if it really does all the things I've claimed?

2. How much would you be willing to pay for such a hook?

Thanks all! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
431 Posts
That's great news Augmon. I hope things work well for you.

I do have one bit of advise for you reguarding your buddies here on WCF......................................................................FREEBEES :!:

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Dude... that certainly sounds impressive. And you most definitely sound serious and determined.

When can we see some pictures of what it looks like and how exactly it works?

And don't diss the RocketRod. I'm catching ALL my fish with it! :lol:

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Sounds very intriguing Augy.

1. If your hook held up to the promises I would buy it in a heart beat.

2. It's funny how people can spend so much on fishing stuff. I'd be willing to pay more then regular hooks if they work well.

I hope your investment pays off, if you need someone to "beta test" your product I would be more than willing :wink:.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Sounds very cool dude. If it does what you say, I too would buy it.

BTW, one of my best friends is a patent attorney at Brinks, Hofer, Gilson and Leone. I'll send you a PM about it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
1. Would you buy and use my hook if it really does all the things I've claimed.

After a freebe test trial ....sure

A three pack can't cost more than a pack on Senkos..... :mrgreen:

When can we expect a sample production run ?

Good luck Augy

·
Banned
666 Posts
1. Would you buy and use my hook if it really does all the things I've claimed?

1) Yes, I would buy, but I'd have to see it in person first (store, Ads, whatever) - to see whether it's the real deal or not. Without any testing nor proof, I never believe a salesman.

If the time ever comes and if successful, would your business be also wiling to sponsor individual tournament fishermen as well as fishing websites?

2) To me, the right price for a hook, and why I would buy it, has to depend on the following attributes:

Competition (difference between competitors - Why is it a potentially better product than lets say Gamakatsu, Hookerz, Tru Tungsten, Owner, Eagle Claw, etc?)

Applications (what kind of fishing can I use this hook for? - what species/ what kind of water/ what baits/ etc)

Number of hooks per pack (I frown upon hook companies that sell hooks for more than $5 per pack - let alone if one hook costs that much). I like to buy in bulk. Cheap is my thing, but not crap. $3 for a pack of six, or maybe anywhere around $.50 (cents) a hook is ideal.

$1 or more for a hook = good bye.

Demographics (What kind of anglers is this hook best suited for? - Who is the target audience? Can this hook be applied to multi-species fishing?)

If these hooks fit my bill with the attributes above which is what I would look for in any product, I would pay the right price to purchase and to happily use them. :D

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic!! All great questions to ask guys. It's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted to answer many questions I contemplated over many sleepless nights.

I'm posting my announcement exclusively here at WCF and if you guys don't mind, I'd like to use you guys as one of my sources for market research. In essence, you guys will be my focus group. I can't think of a better way to conduct my initial research than with you guys. I know you guys will give it to me straight. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Andrew, to answer your question of who my target audience is??? It's guys like you and everyone here at WCF. The guys that take that extra step to become a better fisherman with each cast they make. Guys who have passion for the sport and actively participate in a fishing community like WCF to share their experiences and advice with other anglers. You know, the guys that have a copy of Bass Pro catalog within arms reach of the toilet. :mrgreen:

Keep the questions and comments coming guys. This is great!! I'll answer your questions shortly. For now, more comments and questions please!!

555 Posts
Hey Augy, congratulations on your new invention. It sounds like your very serious and determined to go through with your invention. I think the most important thing about any invention is proving to us that it does what you say it does. I would be willing to buy, if it did what it claimed. As for price I probably wouldn't pay more than a dollar for a single hook. Good Luck, Sounds Good! :D :wink:

·
Registered
107 Posts
sounds really cool. if it works as you say and isnt crazy expensive i would definitely check em out. barbless hooks are required on some lakes and if these could be put on a spinner or other bait to replace barbed hooks rather than just pinching the barbs down without hurting hooking percentages i think the idea could really take off.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Excellent!! I can't wait to find out more about these and potentially try them out. As long as the hooks are really sharp and they work they way you say they can I would pay a pretty penny for them. Would these hooks still work well for senkos? Some of the hooks out on the market now, although really good in some applications, don't work with texas rigging. If so, sign me up. Congrats my friend and best of luck to you!!!! :D :D :D

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Basically someone could invent a hook with a 17 degree angle and a purple dot painted on it and claim it catches more fish. With the right marketing, any little goofy product can be sold. Just look at the Pocket Fisherman... available again at Walgreens for only $19.99!

However, I have a feeling your hook is much more than just a sharp hook, purple dot, or anything like that. From what you say in your announcement, it seems like you have perhaps actually "invented" a new hook.

I'm sure once you get the legal stuff finalized and are able to show us a prototype with detailed descriptions, then we will be able to provide some useful comments, questions and input.

Looking forward to it Augy! Whoda thunk getting skunked at Deep Lake could spawn the invention of the century? Props to ya man. We're all behind you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Congrats on the progress Augie. I respect that you have the guts to push forward.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I'd buy the hook...if its benefits seemed plausible. Either the benefits would need to be obvious on sight, or there'd need to be a solid believable explanation. It would have to appeal to my sense of logic.

2. Like many fisherman, I'm always willing to pay a premium for something that has real (or even perceived) possibilities for putting more fish in the boat. Hooks are cheap....really cheap. Immaterial cheap. I don't even look at the prices when I buy them. I buy the ones that work. For my senko wacky rig fishing (one of my favs) I buy the exact same color, size, and style gamagatsu hook over and over. I don't even glance at the price. I'm not rich, I'm just not willing to take chances with this. Now, there's always a limit. I may be willing to pay multitudes more than conventional, but not orders of magnitude.

Hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. I'd love to be a test subject. :)

-bartmandude

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Whoda thunk getting skunked at Deep Lake could spawn the invention of the century?

"necessity is the mother of invention "..... :wink:

and Augy hates 2 lose :mrgreen:

So we have a new hook for 2008
AS
the WCTT points leader(s) :roll: there eyes...

(Larry The Cable guy : I'm sorry dear lord ....for sturin da pot on the philosophical aspect of fishin skills vs. hooks and other important thing there dear lord....)

(ok you guys ...ya know I'm just bustin chops...hehe))..

·
Registered
431 Posts
Augy, if you really want the people on this site to endorse your product, I know an "iron clad" way to make that happen.

HOOKERS :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No pun intended.

Hey, there's a name for your new product

AUGY'S HOOKERS :)

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Big Al said:
AUGY'S HOOKERS :)
AUGY'S HOOKERS just $14.95 per "set"..?
Order now !!!!

Not a good selling point Big Al..... :lol:

but after talking with Augy and John a few months ago about the "idea"
and the look in their eyes ... You Gotta Believe!!!!!

I'm in !!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.