Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
its so hard to judge a fish by the picture, especially one from a distance like you are. Approx 20inches could mean anything. Im going to say between 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 lbs. regardless thats one hell of a catch, congrats!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The one I lost almost pulled me and my rod out of the boat :)
I kinda judge online pics in segments, lip to front of pec fins, back of pec fins to anal fin, and there to the tail. Then theres fatness too, most pics dont show that.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
That's a real nice fish dude, whatever the weight.

I'm one of the few who doesn't really care about weight during casual fishing. The length of the fish is more of a true indication of the age and quality of of catch (to me). You can have a gorged 16" bass weigh as much as a 20" bass who is spent out from spawning. To me, the longer fish is indeed the one to be proud of.

·
Registered
308 Posts
That's a spawned out female you caught. The fish looks skinny. It's a 3.5 lber. That fish would've been a 4.25 before spawn.

P.S don't tie up fish. They'll get eaten by turtles and birds before you can get back to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.