Chicago Fishing Forum banner

How do they taste?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  JB 
#1 ·
So I picked up fishing again this year.... still haven't kept a single fish that I've caught, but was starting to wonder which species would be good to take home to the pan. Any you guys keep some of what you catch?

#10 ·
they actually do eat carp and buffalo downstate and down south. when from clean water they both tast fine. catfish is really good when made right. walleye as well. never have ate bluegill or crappie. never have harvested a fish that I have caught.

B

#11 ·
wow, thanks so much for all the info. lol carp, I hear they're not that bad if they live in clean waters, and asian carp isn't too bad smoked since they're filter feeders. I think I'll try for some perch next week. I fished at Lake Lake Michigan today at the Gilson Park pier. Didn't catch anything but saw plenty of alewives and carp swimming around. Did see some small fish chasing after the spoon I was tossing though, but they're pretty much the size of the spoon lol. Anyone know if you can still get salmon near shore?

#12 ·
Bass catch and release. Too little meat per pound and not tasty.
Catfish catch and release. Too fatty
Carp catch and throw away. If you really want to eat them soak in salt water to reduce the muddy taste.
Walleye good eating, but don't keep the big ones. Pan fry or deep fry.
Pike ditto walleye in cold waters.
Trout and salmon, take what you need brush with olive oil and seasoning and bake at 350.
Bluegill, crappie, and perch. Beer batter and deep fry.
Don't forget the fresh lemon.
LUV2 FISH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.