Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leave next Thursday for my annual Canada fly-in fishing trip. This will be my seventh year going to the same lake that has produced great results for my father and I. The two pics below are of my Dad's biggest eye and my biggest pike. (sorry about the first pic I don't have a scanner, my dad caught that beast three years ago before either of us had a digital camera)

The problem is that it has been 90 degrees up there for the last week. A family friend just got back from fishing the same lake and he didn't do well due to the high heat and clear skies. While he was there he reported that the lake temp in the main basin rose 10 degrees in a week! As the lake got warmer the fishing got slower.

What do you guys who like to fish slightly larger waters do when it gets REALLY HOT out. I figure the fish are all going deeper. I plan on using heavier jigs/minnows for deeper depths and drop shot rapalas on flats between shallows and deep water.

The lake is long and narrow with a max depth of 85 feet in the largest basin. Most of the lake maxes out around 35-45 feet at the deepest spots. I will be fishing for walleye and northern.

Any suggestions? How do you beat the heat :?:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
do you really want to suffer in the heat like that??!! let me help you out, i'll go in your place and suffer for you. i'm a good friend like that! so whens the flight? :mrgreen:

553 Posts
Those are some sick fish! Sorry friend I can't help you out. There really is no way to be the heat when it comes to fishing. When I fished the Kankakee river last year I could easily see the difference in fish behavior when it was extremely hot and when it was warm and I had little success catching anything good. When it was really hot the fish just weren't having it. Hopefully before you get out there the weather will get better. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Fish at Sun up and Sun Down..Find all the shade you can fish...hope for some cloud cover and cool nights ...Have fun

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Try looking for offshore rock humps and reefs to fish during the day. The deeper water off rocky points also seem to be good too. The old standard jig and minnow cannot be beat. Backtrolling spinner rigs on the breaks is a good option too. To get it down deeper try a Lindy Rig. To cover water for the pike, trolling deeper diving cranks in 15-30 feet of water may be something to consider too. Good luck up there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Its called a 12 volt batt.+ 800 watt inverter+20 inch fan(not a box fan) = cool breeze.............Try it you might like it....

Suggestion....a bucket / cooler of lake water a submerge your feet in it will cool you also. body temp is 98.666 ......lake water is what...80?

also fish in the mid day sun to keep those bugs off you........

Large straw hat or big brimmed hat

a towel to dip in the lake and wrap around your neck........................ and find a tree to hang yourself

Drink water only and plenty/if you drink beer remember you dehydrate and makes for fun day on he water.......Your out there to fish or drink?
Ask Augy how I feel about booze on my boat. I fish mainly LM and if your drunk or even buzzed crap happen fast.... If you want to drink go drinking...if you want to fish...keep it at home .

or maybe bring this like in my old days............

check the date and time .......

Dam I needed a manacure that week..........

LOL

Rockfish

·
Registered
401 Posts
with keeping yourself cool to beat the heat... like slider said, you're in a lake on a boat!! JUMP IN!!!

with fishing... definately fish the deeper water. fish will still be agressive and hungry, they don't just starve themselves because the surface temp of the water is warmer. they feed, they just feed deeper and tend to travel into the shallows to do it very early or very late in the day. night fishing might make for a good idea. like matt said, rock humps and reefs in and along deep dropoffs would be key. very deep weed beds will also work, weeds hold bait, as well as bigger fish, and typically the water is colder in and around weedbeeds :D good luck and come back with some monsters for us to see!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
pick some deep weed lines or rock piles and eddies... basically anywhere the water might be a few degrees cooler. The pike should just about school up in the cool spots when the water is that hot. What do you fish with?... from experience i can say i dont believe anything will beat a # 5 blue fox or mepps spinner on those hot summer days... good luck on your trip

·
Registered
472 Posts
After years of trying to beat the heat we came up with a solution. Fish the early morning bite, when it starts to get hot run to the cabin, eat lunch, take a nap, play cards whatever. Late afternoon head back out, refreshed and ready for the evening. If you are to far away from the cabin to run in find a quite, shady bay, anchor up and eat lunch and take a nap. Have a great trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.