Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am still kind of new to fishing and I would like to know how to fish a twister tail? The twister tails I have already have Jig heads ran through them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Bottom fishing in either a lake, pond or river you can do most everything with them from swimming them, pops, jumps, pauses on the bottom w/twitches or a combination of any of the above. You can experiment with what is working on a particular day and fine tune that. This time of year with the cold water, you need a very slow approach.

For smaller twisters, like 1 or 2" on a 1/32 oz jig, you can fish them by themselves or under a bobber. Again, fine tune to what is getting you the most hits and work slowly with the current cold water.

Also good is a jig with live bait like a minnow or nightcrawler piece. It's about the only lure you can stop dead if you get some bites, then wiggle or twitch it unti the fish picks it up. If you get a missed hit on a spinner or crankbait all you can do is re-cast. You can't let it drop and expect the fish to continue to hit it laying on the bottom.

I use jigs more than anything else in my fishing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Straight retrieves work the best for me. I let the jig fall to the bottom (sometimes you'll get strikes on the fall). Then point the rod tip up allowing some slack line, and just reel it in slowly allowing it to make contact with whatever is on the bottom - let it fall occasionally. I don't get many strikes jigging, popping, or twitching it, unless you count vertical jigging from boats or piers.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
early spring ice out time, I get more fish (smallies & walleyes) dragging or crawling across the bottom. An occassional slow lift and flutter fall can induce strikes, as well as a pause twitch-twitch pause approach.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Most guys already covered it, but here are my basics. Start off with a slow, steady retrieve. The biggest mistake anglers can make, especially in the early Spring, is to reel too fast. Normally I will go with the slowest retrieve without fouling up on the bottom. That alone is usually enough for some action. Once you get the basics down, a stop and go retrieve with rod twitches can work as well. Once the weeds start emerging and the bass get up shallow I like to cast into shallow areas and open pockets and reel back with the rod tip high. Early season bass will hammer them in shallow water. For shore fishing, long casts parallel to the shoreline seem to do the trick.

918 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Most guys already covered it, but here are my basics. Start off with a slow, steady retrieve. The biggest mistake anglers can make, especially in the early Spring, is to reel too fast. Normally I will go with the slowest retrieve without fouling up on the bottom. That alone is usually enough for some action. Once you get the basics down, a stop and go retrieve with rod twitches can work as well. Once the weeds start emerging and the bass get up shallow I like to cast into shallow areas and open pockets and reel back with the rod tip high. Early season bass will hammer them in shallow water. For shore fishing, long casts parallel to the shoreline seem to do the trick.
this is what this website is about.... 8)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW thank you all so much for the help.

I have a lot to learn when it comes to twister tails, jig heads, and the jig head twister tail combos. I did try and fish a white grub with a red twister tail on it last year but I had no luck at all after about ten cast I lost it completely on the next cast. :roll: I have a good number of twister tails, jig heads, and a jig heads with fur/hair on them. They all came with the fish rods I got at aldi' in those cheap fishing rod kits.

I figure there has to be something I can catch with them If learn how to fish them. :lol:

I do plan on going to Dick's before the season picks up and getting at least one better rod. I only fish for pan fish and Bass( Even though I have yet to catch one. :cry: ) so imagine I won't have to shell out too much for a rod and reel combo.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Watch more fishin shows, they are great for good basics like these. Especially for beginners. and you will get to watch what we are talking about. You can find some great tips on youtube videos as well. if ya got a DVR, record all the fishing shows on VS and comcast. (especially Water&Woods wit john gillespie)

·
Registered
564 Posts
try basspro for a good rod n reel combo. I have used some of their tourney special rods (bass-pro brand) and they are a great bang for the buck. I even favor it over my 130$ shimano crucial. they are usually in the 50$ range, they are dureable, and if it ever breaks basspro usually has no problem replacing it even years down the road. I don't know why they sell a warranty if they just replace any basspro brand rod for free. you can usually find a decent reel there in the 20 - 30$ range if you wanna save some dough, just find a decent sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.