Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many different rod reel combos do u have and how many do you actually use.

This has been puzzling me for a while currently i have a Shimano Citica baitcaster witha shimano rod.

A Berkley Cherrywood with a Mitchell Advocate reel

and a abu garcia agenda rod with no reel. Im thinkin of getting the shimano solctice or sedona for it.

And for my trip to Canada next year probally a G. Loomis spinning rod and a fenwick ultra lite.

How many do u have and use

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
As you go along you will just start aquiring rods and reels. I probably have around 15 complete setups with several more unused rods and reels in the box. After awhile you will probably start aquiring setups based strictly on the application you want to use it for. Just remember, when your girlfriend or wife says you have enough, you NEVER can have enough :lol:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have 4 baitcasting setups and 5 or 6 spinning setups. I have been using the baitcasters more and more and the spinning setups less and less. Since I mostly fish for bass, most of my rods are M or MH.

If you are planning on going to Canada next year my recommendation would be 3 setups minimum. One spinning setup for jigging and two baitcasters for casting lures. I would also bring a spare of each. It would suck if something broke and you were down a rod or reel. I wouldn't even bother bringing an UL rod there. You are talking big fish and you wouldn't want to bring a knife to a gun fight. :D

Matt is right, you can never have enough.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
toothdoc said:
I have 4 baitcasting setups and 5 or 6 spinning setups. I have been using the baitcasters more and more and the spinning setups less and less. Since I mostly fish for bass, most of my rods are M or MH.

If you are planning on going to Canada next year my recommendation would be 3 setups minimum. One spinning setup for jigging and two baitcasters for casting lures. I would also bring a spare of each. It would suck if something broke and you were down a rod or reel. I wouldn't even bother bringing an UL rod there. You are talking big fish and you wouldn't want to bring a knife to a gun fight. :D

Matt is right, you can never have enough.
my uncle just got back from canada and he actually uses and ultra lite for walleye and a M Spinning rod for northern he only brings two rods

he just got back and those two rods both broke on him when he crushed them between two boats.
One G. Loomis and one Fenwick

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I realize that is what your uncle used, but those rods are not what I would recommend. I have caught northern when I was jigging for walleye. I would hate to have the fish go under the boat and the rod break if I could have worked the fish better with a heavier rod. But that is me. Same thing with the northern rod. I know guys that use a M spinning rod for northern, but it is not what I would use. I would much rather have a MH baitcaster that I can work the fish with and get them into the boat faster.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
toothdoc said:
I realize that is what your uncle used, but those rods are not what I would recommend. I have caught northern when I was jigging for walleye. I would hate to have the fish go under the boat and the rod break if I could have worked the fish better with a heavier rod. But that is me. Same thing with the northern rod. I know guys that use a M spinning rod for northern, but it is not what I would use. I would much rather have a MH baitcaster that I can work the fish with and get them into the boat faster.
ic thanks for the advice toothdoc it really helped a lot

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I keep it simple. This is it, except for broken garbage I cant bring myself to throw away.

1) Spinning setup -Medium action 6' Shimano, w/ Sahara 2500, 6 or 8lb mono
Jigging for walleye, casting smaller lures for bass or panfish, or fishing live bait.

2) Baitcasting- Meduim action 6', w/10lb mono on kvd reel
For most casting, bass and pike fishing.

3) Baitcasting- Medium heavy Shimano Compre, w/ 50lb braid on B.D. sig
For heavy lures, heavy cover, and heavy fish.

4) Ultralight (it is a cheaper one but nice, and ULTRAlight) with a Sahara 1500 and 4lb.
Only for panfish, off piers mostly. No walleye, bass, or pike. Wouldnt want to fight a gamefish on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.