Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a hard time handling channel cats. any advice to handle them so they have the best chance getting back with little injury? thanks guys

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
If it's a small channel cat, you can grat them by wrapping your pointing finder around one top of its fin and your middle finger on the bottom fin. Then put your thumb under his other bottom fin. I do this fron the belly of the cat. Those are his stingers as well as the one on his back. Many people get confused and think the whiskers are the stingers.

Or you can lip them in the mouth. They will try to bite down. Be carefull on the gill plates as they are sharp and can easily cut you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
With big flatheads I would grab them in the mouth to get them on shore or in the boat, then you can gill them for a another pic or so...

BTW- THIS CAT WAS RELEASED. i JUST NEEDED SOME LIGHT TO TAKE A PIC WITH MY PHONE. IT WAS CAUGHT IN CARY, IL. AT MY BUDDIES RIVER HOUSE.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
robbiegill said:
thank u that helps alot!!!
No problem, I was able to find a pic of a small cat from busse to show the proper way to handle the small cats or bullhead. This is what I was talking about with your thumb under one stinger and your pointer finger and middle finger wrapped around the other one.

If you do get stung, It is not that bad. Just a little heads up ;) It is just the slime that tingles a little bit. Big cats have a hard time stinging since there stingers start to get rounded off as they get older, but I am sure they still can get ya. That's why I grab all my big cats by the mouth. Have fun chasing some cats. I miss catfishn, but I am stuck on bassn' right now :p

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.