Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snagged / lost at least 15 lures so far this year :x and not looking forward of losing more and more.

My question is:
Can you guys share successful techniques you use to retrieve snagged lures. (If shore fishing)
The technique I use (works 50 percent of the times) it the 'bow and arrow' snapping technique or by moving to the back side of the snag.

·
Registered
95 Posts
there's another one my buddy showed me that looks kind of risky but is very useful. You can only use this when you are no more than 10 feet out and stuck.

step one is to take out some slack line and grab the line between your reel and the first guide.
Next you let go of the reel/rod and your rod will slide down the line to where ever your bait is stuck. the rod tip will just pop the hook off of the branch or rock or whatever.

But the main thing this technique is used for is when you're using single hooks. Not good when ya have trebles. But if you are using a crankbait, just go to a store and ask for plug knockers they work quite well.

if ya have a rod with braid along that always helps as well. You can flip your bait with braid out there and hook your bait with the braid and rip it out. I do that alot on laydowns.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Yea i am am up to 6 this year,try not to set the hook into the snag,then i look to see if i can get to the other side of the snag,then try to get it out, donit be in a hurry, a little slack in the line and whip it up and down,one reason my rods are all8-10 ft if i get snagged near shore i can get the rod tip on the other side of the snag,keep working that rod tip back and forth and up and down i will go 15minutes then screw it

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
40 lb braid. I use that when there are a lot of deadfalls and whatnot. You would be amazed at what you can carefuly pull out of the water with that stuff. Otherwise like oldsalt said, get around to another angle on it, or work it out slowly back and forth untill it gets loose and it wiggles out.

Something else to try. I have also cut the forward facing hook off the trebles on crankbaits. Two points per hook is still plenty. I have been considering using two single hooks in place of the trebles sometime.

·
Registered
825 Posts
maxfish86 said:
there's another one my buddy showed me that looks kind of risky but is very useful. You can only use this when you are no more than 10 feet out and stuck.

step one is to take out some slack line and grab the line between your reel and the first guide.
Next you let go of the reel/rod and your rod will slide down the line to where ever your bait is stuck. the rod tip will just pop the hook off of the branch or rock or whatever.
Max- Welcome to the site. I've seen some of your posts on other boards. I too have seen this done successfully. Personally, I don't think I could do this with my Loomis or Croix rods but it does work.

If you are in a boat, many times just moving past the snag will free it. If not, you can get over the snag, reel down, and use the rod tip to gently free the bait especially if you are on wood. I don't get too aggressive with this since I am fearful of breaking the rod tip which I saw someone do. Good fishing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree with ya there. I haven't lost a rod tip yet from that but have replaced some on my st. croix's as well so for me that technique is useful when i'm trying to get my tunsten weights back :) But yes if you are in a boat, just reel your line up to the bait so that your bait is on the tip of your rod and shake. That also works well. But i spend 85 % of the year fishing from shore.

·
Registered
392 Posts
SPARKPLUGS WORK REAL WELL FOR THIS YOU JUST LOOP THE LINE UNDER THE GAP ON THE SPARK PLUG AND LET IT RUN STRAIGHT DOWN YOUR LINE TO YOUR LURE AND MOST OF THE TIME ITS POPS LOOSE. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.