Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dick's doesn't know how to ship rods either. I stick with tacklewarehouse, or in person at a store

Most of the tournament kayak anglers are using lithium for their trolling motors and electronics. It's important for them to save the weight over a lead acid battery. They're supposed to last more seasons but when you can go to sam's club and get two Duracell marine batteries under $200, it's hard to justify the lithium on a gas powered boat

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
The new spool for my Daiwa Regal just arrived. Planning to spool it with 8 lb braid.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Just got 5 Mustad 3/8 oz hair jigs. Look nice - planning to se them for smallies.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I agree with those who've said they buy two for each lost lure. I've been doing that on chatters and rat-l-traps, just so I don't have to order another if I lose one. Convenience is key! :wink: The problem is I'm running out of designated shelf space! :D

Oh and:
I dont do the ned rig but have had a few requests for ned heads, so I went and bought the mold to add to the pile. It pours 1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, & 1/4 oz.
Oh man that's great, thy're so easily lost in any outing and those little f'ers cost wayyy too much for what they are!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
GAS got me bad this spring. Just took possession of my new Terrova with iPilot and Bluetooth for the boat. Waiting on my plug/receptacle, and battery order to deliver, and then I'll be hooking that up in the next week or so. Can't wait to have me some anchor lock.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
FloridaRigger said:
what plug did you order? I had a lot of trouble with the marinco twist lock plug with my 24V terrova with i-pilot. I was constantly getting motor not found errors on the remote. switched to the battery tender screw type plug and it's been perfect ever since. https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-T ... -Connector
Damnit. I ordered the Marinco twist lock lol. I'll wait and see what happens with it I guess. Maybe you had a bad one? $100 seems damn pricey for a plug and receptacle. Lol.

·
Registered
688 Posts
SmalliesNEyes said:
FloridaRigger said:
what plug did you order? I had a lot of trouble with the marinco twist lock plug with my 24V terrova with i-pilot. I was constantly getting motor not found errors on the remote. switched to the battery tender screw type plug and it's been perfect ever since. https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-T ... -Connector
Damnit. I ordered the Marinco twist lock lol. I'll wait and see what happens with it I guess. Maybe you had a bad one? $100 seems damn pricey for a plug and receptacle. Lol.
I though the I had a bad one and switched it out for another marinco and still had the problems. I believe it isn't rated for as much amperage as the terrova pulls. I think I only paid around $50 for the battery tender but that was 5 years ago

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
New black/brown 1/4 oz Zman chatterbait came in mail yesterday.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
FloridaRigger said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
FloridaRigger said:
I though the I had a bad one and switched it out for another marinco and still had the problems. I believe it isn't rated for as much amperage as the terrova pulls. I think I only paid around $50 for the battery tender but that was 5 years ago
No issues with the Marinco plug so far. Remote works just fine.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
My experience with my old Abu Conlon last week got me thinking about other old gear I have - specifically a Daiwa Samurai rod. Not like the ones that are combos these days. When I got it was one of Daiwa's top rods. It remains a great rod.

I tried putting my Lew's SpeedSpin on it but that reel has a plastic coating that prevents decent pairing.

So I just ordered a Shimano Sienna 2500. Don't think I've had a Shimano before but everything I've read says it's an excellent, inexpensive reel. Looking forward to trying it out.

Not looking forward to explaining to my wife why I needed yet another reel. :roll:

·
Registered
377 Posts
This year I went all out 3 new rods st croix 2 new reels ABU revo the Last time I bought a new rig was 25 years ago if you get quality it lasts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
As previously posted I bought a Shimano Sienna 2500 a while back. I like it so much I picked up a 500-size Sienna. Problem was, I'd sold my backup UL rod & reel. So I bought a UL Berkley Lightening rod to pair with the 500.

I've caught several dinks on Salt Creek with this setup and continue to be impressed by the Sienna - the Lightening also punches above its weight. All-in-all a great pairing for UL applications.

Still can't figure out how Shimano makes a reel this smooth with only 4 bearings & less than $30 - the 500 was under $20. Their upmarket reels must be awesome. If one of my Pfluegers wears out I'll be tempted to replace it with a more expensive Shimano.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rambler said:
Still can't figure out how Shimano makes a reel this smooth with only 4 bearings
I think that number of bearings is nothing but a marketing trick at this point. I mean what all the bearings in the world are going to do for you when your axle is stamped Chinese crap?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Grain said:
I think that number of bearings is nothing but a marketing trick at this point. I mean what all the bearings in the world are going to do for you when your axle is stamped Chinese crap?
Good point. I guess the assumption is that in spite of the fact that most reels today are made in China the folks who put their names on them have some control over quality. Otherwise why don't we all buy reels & rods with names we can't pronounce? Plenty of them on eBay too.

Meant to mention, one way Shimano cut costs on Siennas is in the handle material - hard, slick plastic. If your hands are wet it becomes really slippery. Easy, cheap fix is a bit of hockey tape. If you're careful it won't upset the balance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Rambler said:
Grain said:
Good point. I guess the assumption is that in spite of the fact that most reels today are made in China the folks who put their names on them have some control over quality. Otherwise why don't we all buy reels & rods with names we can't pronounce? Plenty of them on eBay too.

Meant to mention, one way Shimano cut costs on Siennas is in the handle material - hard, slick plastic. If your hands are wet it becomes really slippery. Easy, cheap fix is a bit of hockey tape. If you're careful it won't upset the balance.
Never heard anyone mention that handle being plastic before. Is it "chromed" plastic?

A few years ago I remember hearing lot of complaints about the 1000 sized having bail spring issues.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Lip_Yanker said:
Rambler said:
Grain said:

Never heard anyone mention that handle being plastic before. Is it "chromed" plastic?

A few years ago I remember hearing lot of complaints about the 1000 sized having bail spring issues.
He probably meant the knob? My Sienna is 3-5 years old, and things may have changed, but the handle itself is very much metal.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Yeah - sorry, I meant the knob.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
New Whopper Plopper 75 coming today. Rooster Tail coming tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rambler said:
New Whopper Plopper 75 coming today. Rooster Tail coming tomorrow.
I like how the 75s run a lot, something about the fat shape on it. Has been my go to for top water this summer.

1241 - 1260 of 1290 Posts