Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
My best friend found one in a bush at Skokie Lagoons a couple years ago. It's a 90 so he thinks it's too big. Says he's going to Cabelas to get smaller ones with points.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Plano Deluxe Rod Case because I'm tired of carrying the bazooka up North every year.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I love homemade hair jigs because they catch tons of fish & allow for infinite customization.

I hate homemade hair jigs because because losing them to snags & teeth hurts a tinge more than losing something you can replace in 1 swipe of the card.

By this time of the summer, most years, the bucktail jig bite dies off, for me, & falls to the wayside in favor of bigger plastics or hard baits. This year I still seem to be catching good fish whenever I throw them, walleyes, smallies, crappie & a few dink musky, so why ask why?
Finally found some time (and materials!) to help restock the box. I hope they last a while!
20210810_215414_copy_1224x1632.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Your stuff works I can attest to that. I have been dabbling in making some homemade ones myself. It's kind of cool to catch fish on your own stuff.

~JOE~

·
Registered
496 Posts
My new HF setup. I blame joetrain for this. This is literally what I told the wife "but honey, some guy from the internets told me I need a rod for heavy lures". Ideally I would have gone with 735c - I think that its lower weight limit might have some in handy, but it would have been $100 more expensive and I would have had two identical-looking setups. Of course there's Sierra and Champion, but that would have been even steeper. So Shimano SLX it is.

Plant Vegetation Grass Grassland Grass family

And as if I don't have enough chatterbaits I bought more. This is Jackhammer Stealth with clear polycarbonate blade which supposed to give slimmer, more finessy profile. Does it work? Time will tell. I paid $40 for a set of 4 which I guess is not bad for a higher end version of chatterbait.

Arthropod Insect Finger Terrestrial plant Thumb

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I’ve done worse damage in the past.

Last week I lost a Jackhammer chatterbait when the snap on the lure just stretched out.
I blame Heddonfrog for that. He’s the one that got me to spend way more than I should have on a lure.

~JOE~

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
A couple years ago HEDDON tried to convince me to buy a JDM rod. Managed to resist his entreaties. My membership in the AACB was at stake.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You can tie anything,get material from,stuffed animals, furs,doll heads,don't limit yourself,to overpriced material,I used fur from my last two dogslo
You see, I replaced a broken treble on one of my spinners with one dressed with synthetic and it disintegrated after only a couple of pike strikes. I do not know whether it is workmanship, or the nature of the material, or rotten luck, but bucktail just seems to hold up better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
When I was a kid meps would buy squirrel tails or trade for some of their spinners i sent some in for trade

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a question about that - what it the best/most economical way to get bucktail. eBay?
I really dont know the answer to this.
Truthfully, Ive never really found a way to get cheap bucktail, at the retail level. I never buy any natural tying materials(hair, feathers,)sight-unseen. Im extremely picky about the texture, length & consistency and most of the packaged stuff I come across is reject-material, IMO, so I never order it online. With so few brick/mortar options available that offer the opportunity to pick from a selection, I pretty much pick from what I can find from small tying shops, BPS/Cabelas, & any other random place that sells it.
So, thats a really long way of saying I unfortunately dont have an answer to your question.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I really dont know the answer to this.
Truthfully, Ive never really found a way to get cheap bucktail, at the retail level. I never buy any natural tying materials(hair, feathers,)sight-unseen. Im extremely picky about the texture, length & consistency and most of the packaged stuff I come across is reject-material, IMO, so I never order it online. With so few brick/mortar options available that offer the opportunity to pick from a selection, I pretty much pick from what I can find from small tying shops, BPS/Cabelas, & any other random place that sells it.
So, thats a really long way of saying I unfortunately dont have an answer to your question.
No, actually it's a perfectly reasonable answer.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hardly exciting, but desperately needed. Came into town for the holidays & got a chance to spend some time with the molds & pouring pot:

240 of 1/4oz ball-heads on 1/0 eagle claw laser-sharp, black-nickel hooks
140 of 1/8 ballheads on #1 mustad needle-point hooks.
100 of 1/4oz teardrop heads on 2/0 owner light-wires.

This should keep me busy tying for a good portion of the winter!
Wood Ingredient Jewellery Cuisine Metal

1261 - 1280 of 1290 Posts