Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was out yesterday around 5:30 PM at Twin Lakes, fishing for panfish. When I got there, I got greeted by some unfriendly conditions - wind, waves, and some really cold temps ( I had shorts and a short sleeve shirt on, and I was freezing). So, I rigged up one rod with a slip sinker rig with a nightcrawler as bait, and the ultralight with a slip-bobber with a piece of nightcrawler for bait also. So, I casted the slip-sinker rig, with the hopes of catching a catfish or bass. About 5 minutes after I started fishing with the ultralight , I got a 5 or 6 inch bluegill. Released it, rebaited, and threw again. After about half an hour, I had gotten 5 or six bluegill, and then it slowed down. Then, as I'm glancing down the shore, I see a fish sip a bug off the surface. So, I go straight to that spot, cast in, and I got several hits, after which I got a decent bluegill. I rebaited, threw in. As I'm standing there, waiting for a hit from those bluegill that could barely drag the float down, I had a huge hit- the bobber dipped a half foot under the water. As I see this, I immediately set the hook, and the fight begins- the fish starts peeling off my 4 lb. line, as I'm struggling to tighten my drag. After about a minute, I get a glimpse of the fish and carefully bring it to shore. And whadday know, it's a 20 inch , 4.5 lb. sucker! You would never expect catching that from twin lakes, now would you? I sure will be heading back to see if I can hook any more. Here are some pics from my unexpected catch.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
That is interesting to see a sucker in there. A few years ago I caught one one jigging a leech in about 25 feet water in a lake I have fished my whole life without seeing one. Sometimes you just never know......

Thanks for sharing :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.