Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I just decided to go to Lake Delavan on Saturday. I have never fished this lake before but am looking forward to the challenge. Does anyone have any information on good spots? If it is slow all morning at Delavan we'll end up spending the afternoon on Geneva. Tips for there would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
For safe ice, I think your best bet is around the launch channel next to Highway 50. There should be others out there. I would go for plastics for pannies and roaches for the pike. If you can get outside of the breakwall, right outside the channel mouth there is a hole that goes to 8 or 9 feet. Good luck out there. I hope there is some safe ice so you have the option of moving to some deeper spots.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
You really think that there is any ice even there, far less safe ice? It's been above freezing the past few weeks. :shock: I would only fish open water at this point to be safe.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My buddy has a small aluminum boat that we were planning on taking out. Wish us luck! :wink:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Anyone plan on headin up there for some hard water this year? I'm thinkin of heading that way when there's reports of decent ice.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out on Geneva this morning but there was a bunch of wind and waves. After getting splashed a few times my friend and I decided it would be safer to go in. We ended up fishing a harbor on Delevan for an hour but didn't catch anything. We had a good time; too bad we got skunked.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i was thinking about fishing this morning but as soon as i heard the howling wind my changed quickly to some online poker. :mrgreen: at least you gave it a go. HARDCORE!!!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Like Augy, I thought about going out this afternoon, but that wind was just too much.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Yep, parts of Geneva may stay open all year with this mild weather. Last report of ice I got on Delavan said that the ice had gone bad in the chennel and no one was going out. The bad part about that is that the public boat launch runs out of that channel, so no boat launching until it melts. For those of you interested in Geneva, a 10 lb+ eye was caught out of their last week by a guy trolling cranks at night.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt speaks the truth. On sat my friend and I were planning on fishing Delevan but couldn't get through the channel due to ice! Not enough ice to walk and fish on; but just enough to keep boats off the lake, frustrating :evil:

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
The latest report has the channel free of ice and the whole lake open to fishing. Eyes are on the breaks and pike are shallow. Those damn fish have to be really confused thinking the spawn is coming up. They will be suprised in a week or so when the temps dip back down.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
If anyone is looking to hit the ice, Delavan is safe all over and Geneva Bay is locked up with plenty of folks getting out.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hey Matt you ever been out there on Geneva when those wind sail skiers are out there. It's weird not to hear that lakes not frozze over

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I remember when i was little I ice skated all the way from Cedar Point to Black Point with my dad. The Ice must have been real thick because while we were in the middle a lincoln limo went cruising by us heading lengthwise down the lake toward fontana!! We'll probably never see ice thick enough for that again.

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Bassman For Life said:
Hey Matt you ever been out there on Geneva when those wind sail skiers are out there. It's weird not to hear that lakes not frozze over
Yep, they like to have their little races. There is still actually open water down by Fontana. My buddy got an 11+ plus eye and a bunch of 2-3 lbers the other night trolling stickbaits at night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts