Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey, just trying to figure the lake out and help anybody else (sport fisherman!) be successful there too! I'm starting to see some patterns that help shorefishing be more productive. Like days with western winds are probably not going to produce much from the south, but up on the north you can get a bit of action on those days. Actually, the northern end is seemingly a more productive area than the southern end, despite the appearance of better depth and contour on the south. But casting anywhere there requires something (like the senko) that will go far in any wind, there are good drops all around pretty much, but they are at least 20' out, where to big dogs are. Still haven't made it for the morning bite, and no doubt that is the best time as I almost never see shorefishing before about noon. Anyway, if I see you in 'my spots' please be aware that I am certified insane and not responsible for my aggressive behavior while trying to fish! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
reading all your post kinda makes me wanna find a lake and stick with the one lake until i master it
Do you go as far as writing notes on what worked and when and all that good stuff i think i might start taking some notes on lakes

·
Registered
702 Posts
Most everything I've noticed/learned is in the posts. If I am correct, that is how Jason started the site, as a fishing blog. I am just using it in that manner. But notice, I said MOST of what I've observed or learned about Opeka I've written. There are some specifics that I'd maybe share in person with a trusted sport fisherman, but would prefer not broadcast to every bucket fisherman in the chicagoland area. But by and large what you read is what I review. I do like keeping with the one lake and getting to know it. I met a guy this past May who goes to the same cabins my wife and I go to in Spooner WI. He's been going there all his life (longer than even me, 35+ years!). He just prefers to have learned that lake and its quirks. And it works for him. If he wants bass, he gets bass. That lake has it all. Opeka is kinda like that for me. Plus, it is three blocks or so from my house, so shooting over there for a quickie is easy or taking the boat over is simple. In the beginning it was as much convenience as anything, it just seems to be working so why go somewhere else and have less results? Though I do want to get up to Delevan and Shabbona and the Michigan harbors. But then again, I spend the drive time fishing if I go to Opeka.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'm new to this and this might sound dumb but what is exactlly ment by "bucket fisherman" from what i have read i'm thinking it is someone who is fishing for cats carps... eating them? and sport fisherman would be someone who targets bass wallies northerns musky.... ? A dumb question but i'm new
i fish for anything that gives a good fight i catch and release although i guess i have been fishing for mostly bass lately what would i be?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
a bucket fishermen is just that. a guy with a bucket that take home whatever they catch. i would guess most are not even licensed either. some are borderline poaching. black, white, brown, yellow, pink, purple...whatever, they consist of all racial backgrounds. usually tho, most are immigrants looking for free meat!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks augy i guess i would be a sport fisherman than bc i don't take anything home and i try to pervent death of the fish after the catch by removing the hook then try and get a quick pic than back in the water

·
Registered
702 Posts
Like Augy says, a bucket guy takes out whatever he reels in. Cat, carp, bass, walleye, whatever and likely isn't doing it so much for sport as for free meat I guess :? IMHO I use the term to basically describe those who do not practice catch and release, but essentially rape the FP lakes for whatever they can thus leaving awesome little lakes like Beck and Busse all but wastelands despite stocking efforts. I've seen guys take home a 3" bass! Literally, a 3" bass! why????? Anyway, I am VERY much in favor of the DPPD having a special fee for Opeka and policing it fairly well. It seems to be keeping a nice little fisherie nice. Yes, they could be a little bit more fisherman friendly, but at least it is there and has fish in it! If it were open to all the bucket guys, no doubt it would end up like Beck or Busse. So, I am sorry if I offend anyone but I do feel that the sport of fishing is offended much more by poaching and that is exactly what bucket guys do.

P.S. I usually bring a bucket to sit on and carry my stuff, so I am sure I appear as 'one of them *&^% bucket guys'!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
know that i know the terms i would say i'm not a bucket guy i would so i'm a sportfisherman maybe not very good at my sport but hey i'm trying to learn and change that and it good fishermen like you that help be at this so thanks topwater and everyone else here at WCF

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Look... it's OK to keep LEGAL fish. Personally I throw back ALL fish because I don't eat fish. But if you want to go to Busse and keep an 18" walleye you are allowed to do that. If you keep a 17" walleye you are a Buckethead.

As you all know, this site strongly supports catch and release fishing. But keeping legal fish for a gool ole fashioned fish fry is great.

·
Registered
702 Posts
yeah, Like Jason says, keeping LEGAL fish is hard to argue against, and is part of what fishing is all about anyway. I would love it if everyone practiced catch and release, it would make sport fishing around here more productive and fun for all. But, in other areas I imagine NOT keeping fish would be like not hunting white tail deer, which results in overpopulation and starvation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts