Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday (yesterday), I made a 30-minute drive to my aunt's house who lives about 10-miles upstream of me right on my backyard river, and who lives less than a quarter-mile away from a crap plant with a WWD.

This was my first time exploring the area, and even fishing in the aunt's backyard.

Compared to the areas I fish which is a complete privilege to have compared to this place I was at, the water here was very dark colored, muddy, dirty-looking, and the stream was far less cleaner. If any of the Busse Pike or Walleyes manage to migrate downstream to me, may God bless them!

This stretch of water only held Carp. Lots of them!

As for the discharge, I was expecting it to be a typical WWD and with good fish structure - hard rock bottom, good water clarity. Besides warm water and lots of schooling Carp, very shallow water, and a soft bottom. Not a good area if you want to find some good fish.

Waste of a morning, but now I know that I won't return here again. I can cross this one off the list.

I've got like 2 other WWD's not named Busse which I have to still try. Accessing them and finding a place to park the car is the only problem.

On this morning, the Salt Creek lived up to its name - SEWER DITCH! :lol:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Andrew_R said:
Besides warm water and lots of schooling Carp, very shallow water, and a soft bottom. Not a good area if you want to find some good fish.
Sounds like the WWD we all know and love at Busse lol

Fish just might go there in a month or so :?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
You need to go over to the crap plants on the Fox. The further drive can make the difference on whether ya want to cruise out there tho. Maybe it's still a bit warm for the crap plants to pay off.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Area river water temps are now in the low to mid-40's.. Same goes for this place... I don't see why the crap plants wouldn't be working now.

With school getting crazy now with papers exams and all that bogus crap, I'd rather keep things local at least until late-December..... Plus I seem to have a better handle on this place rather than the Fox.... as silly as it sounds.. I can thank all the time and effort I've put in over the last few years for that attribute. :)

If I didn't have school today, it would have been a perfect day!!!! :cry:

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
WWD's can be interesting places to fish. People often think that because it is a "discharge" from a crap plant, then its basically an asshole discharging shit water. :shock: But really, they are, in most cases, discharges from water treatment facilities in which the water we flush gets treated through an incredible process, and is released back into the environment. And in most cases can actually be cleaner than the water it is discharged in to.

A case in point is the discharge at Howard Street on the Northshore Channel. Sure it can smell funky at times, but that ain't the river, its the facility across the street doing its work. At that very discharge, people have caught largemouth bass, northern pike, salmon, walleye, crappie and even talapia (yes talapia, long story if you don't already know it).

Much of the success of WWD's is the abundance of baitfish that proliferate these areas as well as the increase in oxygen content.

They can, however, be fluctuating ecosystems based on several factors.

I say don't give up on that spot just yet, Andrew. A month from now or a year from now it could produce fish. Maybe a good spot to stop by from time to time for another look.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sure it can produce some fish, especially those that are tolerable of the low oxygen content and PPM's in the surrounding area. Bullheads, Carp, small panfish, and maybe some Cats.

I know the discharged water is generally crystal clear....

I just don't think this exact piece of water or area and discharge itself is good enough for Walleyes which are the main target now. The entire area around the poo plant was dark and very disgusting looking. Nothing like my usual fishing areas which actually have a distinct bottom, pretty clear water, and some life.

Luckily there are 13 of these places on the 'flow. Some are better than others. :)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I talk a lot of crap (LOL) about the smell of the WWD's but Jason is right they do produce a lot of quality fish. I may be talking now, but come late December/January you'll see me at one almost every weekend. 8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.