Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a 2 gallon bucket lid on my auger for a few years now to save the auger from disappearing down an icehole if it should come unchucked from the drill. It was cheap, worked great, but didn't fit well in my new Clam Scout shanty.

Here's a homemade take-off I came up with that is similar to what Ice Master is selling. I think theirs is just a plastic disc on a bungee - I was able to incorporate some real bearings in my gadget.

I had some parts laying around from a exercise treadmill that I scrapped the parts off of, including the long rollers for the mat.

I cut off the end of the roller that also included the pulley for the drive belt.

The bearing hole was too small to fit the Nimrod auger adapter I use through it, so I spent about 20 minutes with a Dremel grinding wheel to enlarge the hole to allow the Nimrod to slip through.

Then just a couple of holes were drilled into the pulley for the hooks of a strong bungee cord.

The bungee cord is tight and will keep the auger attached to the drill should the chuck loosen.

I just walked over to the home pond and tried it and it's working better than expected. It's much better than the bucket lid I was using. Some guys are using plexiglass or metal discs, but those might pose a hazard of cutting yourself. I've even heard of someone using a horizontal metal bar. Maybe it's good for his use, but I see some risk of standing on slippery ice with a spinning bar on a high torque drill at groin level. :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
sweet set-up... Almost looks like a harmonic balancer without the rubber seal... :p (AKA' Truck part)

·
Registered
229 Posts
RonG said:
I've even heard of someone using a horizontal metal bar. Maybe it's good for his use, but I see some risk of standing on slippery ice with a spinning bar on a high torque drill at groin level. :oops: :oops:
:lol: that's the setup I've got. The nimrod auger adapter has a hole in it. I just bent a coat hanger over on itself a couple times & duct-taped it. if you watch what you're doing you're fine - but I do like your bungee set up to also help put some of the auger weight on the frame of the drill & not all on the chuck.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darth Wader said:
Very cool mod Ron!

What size holes are you drilling with that thing?
4" Lazer. I've used it on a 7" Lazer, but logically, the smaller the hole, the more holes per battery charge. I also have a 5" Mora that cuts real well that I think I'm going to try it on.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RonG said:
Darth Wader said:
Very cool mod Ron!

What size holes are you drilling with that thing?
4" Lazer. I've used it on a 7" Lazer, but logically, the smaller the hole, the more holes per battery charge. I also have a 5" Mora that cuts real well that I think I'm going to try it on.
Just tried the 5" Mora, works great also.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hey Ron. Did you make the adapter piece yourself, as well as the custom retainer? If you wouldnt mind showing off the whole thing detached from the drill and auger, it would help me out. 8)

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
twoglasseyes said:
Hey Ron. Did you make the adapter piece yourself, as well as the custom retainer? If you wouldnt mind showing off the whole thing detached from the drill and auger, it would help me out. 8)
Right now I'm using a Nimrod Adapter that I got on clearance at Dick's. I highly recommend it as it's never come unchucked from the drill in two seasons of using it.

It has two holes through it for your auger screw. I just drilled a third hole in mine for a height adjustment inbetween the two that came from the factory. Here you can see the pin on the Nimrod up against the bearing of my home made retainer.

From the pics in the original post of this thread, I think you can figure out the rest.

Prior to getting the Nimrod, I built a couple of of adapters with ok results, but they came unchucked way too much.

I started with a cold chisel...

and came up with this

It worked great, but slipped out of the drill far too often.

Here's another experiment with so-so results:

It was made with a piece of natural gas pipe and some copper. The pipe also was too soft and would mush with use and then start to slip.

I'm real happy with the performance of my new custom retainer and think it's a keeper

If you don't go with a retainer like mine, the simplest auger stopper, can be a bucket lid which I've used for about 3 years up to now with excellent results. (with my original slipping adaptors, it saved my auger dozens of times!)

Just make sure the lid or disc you use is attached BELOW the auger screw.

If tinkering or spending a bunch of time is not your thing, you can always try to get your hands on one of these.

http://www.icemasteradapter.com/

It includes the adapter and retainer and you can get it shipped for $25.

8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thanks! I really like the retainer you made from the pulley and already have something similar ready to go. I am going to try something some night this week. Im gonna weld a hex adapter (thats for using 1/2 inch sockets in a drill) to a piece of steel pipe the same size as the auger handle. If it works Il post up a pic, if not I will probably look around for one at the end of season sales. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.