Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to head up to Delavan on Sunday, the ice was 4-6 inches everywhere we went, but the 45 degree weather made for slushy & wet conditions. We were out for 7 hours and pulled a couple croppie and a handful of blue gil out of the ice, but we weren't able to land any northern. We had one flag go up, but the pike got off. All in all it was a slow trip, but my first chance to step foot on the ice this season!

· Registered
1,540 Posts
Welcome to WFC Big Ol' Bass. That bass on your avatar is HUGE :shock:. That sucker must weight close to 10. Anyways next time when you get to chance to ice fish Delevan again use small Crappies. Its like candy to them lol.. I was out there Saturday and couldnt get any pannies to bite but we went 3 for 7 between me and my buddy Dave using 7-9inch shiners.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely have to try that when I get out there next time, because we were using medium sized roaches on the tips and they weren't doing much for us. We were using wax worms on the jigging rods, and I had a little rapala on one in hopes of a possible bigger bite but nothing happened. The bass in my picture is an 11 lb lunker that I caught on lake Okeechobee last summer. I hooked her on a top water sumo frog at midday. The craziest thing about the catch is that I wasn't fishing over scum or lillies... or anywhere near vegetation! We were killing the big bass on open water jitter bugs & floating rapalas, so I was open water frogging and landed this monster!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, it's insanely expensive. I didn't bring my boat down, I went out with a guide named Chet who used to play for the Miami Dolphins. We went out 3 days in a row and it was a couple grand for the whole trip, but well worth it because I brought in 3 bass over 10 lbs. during the trip.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
i went to okeechobee on a guide...
and the guide admitted to us that it was the worst trip hed ever had
we got 6 bass between 1-2 lbs. =[ biggest waste. glad you got some huge ones tho! congrats.
as for ice fishing. you did well, maybe not as good as you wanted to but atleast you didnt get the skunk! good job

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.