Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
It might not ALL Be frozen But as shallow as the area is and as cold as the water Is I doubt much of anything would be in the area. No weeds to help add extra oxygen, And just the current and cold temps providing oxygen it wouldn't be enough to hold a pike that shallow. Although I'm just speaking for the majority of them maybe you'll hit a passer by half the fun in fishing is just getting out :mrgreen:

Most of the chicago river Never freezes :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Look in the des plaines forum and find one of the deeper dams, A deep hole under a dam in this river system will hold bait fish and predator fish in a lot of cases all winter. After tomorrow if the rain and melted snow melts some then the river will raise this will allow an opportunity for pike near Cumberland when they jump out of one big hole and move up river to try to find another. I'm not saying don't get out there just trying to point you towards a bite :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Hit the Busse WWD you'll have a blast there! And learn a lot to.

George

:mrgreen:

·
Banned
655 Posts
To clarify:

Pike require less oxygen than Carp in some cases. Around 1-2ppm's which almost the bare minimum for survival of any gamefish species.
There's plenty of it out there in the river.

Unless the weeds are dying and ugly brown color, you can forget about it as they suck out all the O. As a result fish of any species won't be around in general vicinity.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you are down by Irving Park, try by the bridges north and south. There are a few deep tunnel access points, and they are always steaming in the winter. May be a good access point around one of them.
I am interested to see what the river looks like by Sunday. I'm thinking flooded with a bunch of broken up ice and debris. Get out ther now before it comes up!

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Andrew_R said:
To clarify:

Pike require less oxygen than Carp in some cases. .
:lol:

Pike have been recorded and shown to survive D.O. levels as low as 0.25mg/l your right, And that is remarkable to survive such little oxygen levels. But were talking about CATCHING Feeding pike not going and watching pike survive under brutal conditions. Them Being able to survive in certain conditions and pike being able to be caught in certain conditions are completely different. With oxygen levels that low The fish won't be aggressively targeting any bait fish nor lures. And beside most fish become distressed when levels dip close to 2-4ml/L So just because a fish can survive in such low Oxygen levels doesn't mean that you'll be able to catch them. In fact it would be tough to watch a pike try fighting through such brutal conditions. And Sense the bigger fish are a lot more affected by the low oxygen levels you may get small passer bys near Cumberland but the deep holes near bridges and dams is where you need to focus. There is enough oxygen just from the cold water and and current to provide fish with enough adequate oxygen to survive, but due to the Fast moving cold water and location of the area I was just suggesting that infamous try a alternate area to better his chances. The Northern Are intelligent enough to find an area that can supply them Food, Adequate cover and structure and a deep hole and that stretch of the river just isn't it.

Hit the Deep holes near dams and bridges infamous

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.