Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Mike, welcome to WCF... I will be by Busse Lake later on today before dusk for an hour. When I get back I can report the ice conditions. I saw it the other day though and it did not look good at all (Lots of open water). You have to remember that a creek channel runs through the main lake... I would be really really careful there and would not suggest going out alone. I would stick around the main lake boat launch if your going to hit the ice, do not venture too far out to the right of the boat ramp towards the island as the current underneith the ice from the dam will weaken it especially with the warm weather we had... I will check the ice conditions by the boat launch later on today.

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Mike, I never made it out to Busse today. I planned on doing some shed hunting and possibly snap a few shots of some deer. If you do make it out on the ice there, be careful as the creek flows through... I did make it there the other day and saw no ice fisherman, but did snap a shot of a doe up in some brush...

Here's a pic of a doe from there... Let me know if you can spot it... She is camouflaged in pretty well... :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yup, you got it.. funny thing is I walk right up on her as I was walking into the woods and saw some brush moving around. i got closer and she didn't notice me. So I put out a Grunt call and she froze and stared at me while I snapped a shot. I got withing 15 feet of her and she bolted and I snapped a shot on the way out... Damn are Busse deer DUMB!!! Only in a forest preserve you can get that close with cross winds and no scent-lock. As well as acorn spray or deer-caine. Pretty funny compared to public hunting grounds... :lol:

·
Registered
248 Posts
great to see someone doing some shed hunting me and my dad got out a couple day we found one nice 8 point just one half so a 4 point side didnt manage to find the other side the next day my dad found a set 5 yards apart from eachother and just a question did the elks at busse drop there antlers????

·
Registered
563 Posts
[Warning, as many people on this site know, busse can be very unsafe because of the current that runs through there, i wouldnt fish there alone ever, and just be careful.size] i know dave once drilled a hole on about an inch of ice unknowingly. HaHa, and u really gave it to those bucketheads that were trying to walk out and see what u were catching. i hear they went running once they realized how crazy u were when the ice started cracking :lol:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
[Warning, as many people on this site know, busse can be very unsafe because of the current that runs through there, i wouldnt fish there alone ever, and just be careful.size] i know dave once drilled a hole on about an inch of ice unknowingly. HaHa, and u really gave it to those bucketheads that were trying to walk out and see what u were catching. i hear they went running once they realized how crazy u were when the ice started cracking :lol:

Erik, yea. I believe I was with Rob and Josh that day. I was cussing and yelling at those bucketheads. They couldn't speak english and walked up right next to rob with 2-3 inches of ice by the dam and the ice just cracked and shook. I am a little crazzy when it comes to thin ice. But I always take precautions. I did find an inch of ice before on the channel on the main lake near higgins. I was pissed because I really wanted to get on some walleyes and the ice was not safe enough :x . Busse is a scary lake especailly when it is 10-12" in one area then 1" of ice in another area. :shock: If I were to fish busse this week. I would stick around the boat launch and not venture out no more than 80 yards as the channel current is about 120 yards straight out from the launch.

DPR, I did not check Busse's Elk. They are protected and when they do shed. I am sure the Rangers take them out of there. As it is illegal to take any sheds from a forest preserve even a leaf from a tree.. But who follows that law :roll: I took my neices to busse to get some Maple Leaves so they can make some art with them. They had a blast and they found some good looking leaves. For the Sheds, If we don't take them... Someone else will just find it and take it. So you minus well grab em ;). I usually bring a camo backpack incase I have to set it down 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.