Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin to get an abu garcia baitcaster ambasseduer C3. I might put fireline 12-15lb test on it. I also have a Quantum baitcaster, its an older model that i might put 12lb test on it. And i just found a Daiwa big spinning reel for salmon. Went and got 20lb stren put on it. I have heard people say don't tie the improved clinch knot on line over 10lb test. So my question is to the people that use big rods reels and heavy duty line. WHAT KNOT DO YOU TIE. For using big line.

Thanks
Dom

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
This is what i do since braided line with a Palimar not seems to slip a hair when wet.

Braided Line, I use the Blood Knot...

Mono or Floro, I use the Palimar Knot ;)

Thats what has worked best for me. Or you can switch things up and go from a swivel off of braided to a 12 or whatever lb Mono since the braided has no stretch, just take it easy on the hook sets. Plus braided does not have much memory to it wich is nice for flipn n pitch of your bass fishn. This may not apply to everyone but on just how u like to fish and with wich lure you are throwing or presentation. I think you get my drift :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I forgot to add, always wet your line with your saliva or whatever before you seal the knot tight...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Augy said:
WrenchingnFishing said:
I forgot to add, always wet your line with your saliva or whatever before you seal the knot tight...
remind me never to borrow your gear dave! :mrgreen:
LMFAO... Good one Augy! :lol:

·
Registered
89 Posts
with the polamar knot if you double the line through the eye and then finish the knot as usual its the best knot for braid your going to find IMHO. if you go to fishingclub.com they have a whole series on knot wars and i think it really helped. They are actually testing mono,flouro, and fireline. check it out

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
grandprix2plus2 said:
with the polamar knot if you double the line through the eye and then finish the knot as usual its the best knot for braid your going to find IMHO. if you go to fishingclub.com they have a whole series on knot wars and i think it really helped. They are actually testing mono,flouro, and fireline. check it out
GrandPrix2Plus, Thanks bro... I got a question though, on one of my baitcasters, I use 30 lb braided and when I double my loop through the eye for a Palimar, For some reason my knot will not slide together right, even when wetted. I don't want to put wax on my line, But it just doesn't work well with PowerPro "For me Anyways". If i loop it once, the knot ties fine but will actually give a little bit a Hair over use. Did they just use fireline with the test and not PowerPro, cause I know fireline has more of a wax coating on the line than PowerPro itself. The thing is that FireLine is more of a steel leader coated line. One bad thing I noticed about FireLine is that over years of use, that line on one of my st.croixs the fireline actually chewed up my guides! :shock: Put a couple little grooves in em! :shock: Im curiouse to how you have has success with this line and if you uses the double loop Palimar with the PowerPro? Any info is appreciated bro. This can be a good subject on braided line vs FireLine with knots, I know he is using FireLine, But I could have sworn I saw a post by him or someone else maybe about PowerPro line before. Not too sure, I forgot he was using fireline but am curiouse on what you have about PowerPro, Thanks Bud.

I've heard many people suggest not to use the Palimar with Braided, Just my opinion and my two cents. I am curiouse on what you have to say though. :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Has anyone ever used the Double 5 Uniknot??? I was doing a little research and came across it. It has good comments and supposebly is suppose to be better stronger than the Palimar Knot. If people have had success, I might stop the Blood Knot on my braided and start using it. Any info is taken into great consideration. Thanks guys.

Heres the vid on it, It's pretty interesting... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGL2aD9q ... re=related

·
Registered
89 Posts
I actually have been using the oduble palimar knot of power pro 40# and havent had any problems it is a lil bit harder to get the know perfect but i used to only use the improved clinch knot until recently finding out your not supposted to use it on anything above 12# line. im up for useing any type of knot as long as it holds. I actually did some testing of my own and power pro says their supposted to be super slick and thats why yous hould double your line up when ever possible. Even check out their website for more info on it. Or even the one thing that i do is ill leave a lil longer of a tag after i cut off the excess and use just a tiny bit of super glue not on the knot but the excess line to the main line and your not will be near impossible to pull out. I havent had any problems with it yet. Any other ideas would be a huge help.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
grandprix2plus2 said:
I actually have been using the oduble palimar knot of power pro 40# and havent had any problems it is a lil bit harder to get the know perfect but i used to only use the improved clinch knot until recently finding out your not supposted to use it on anything above 12# line. im up for useing any type of knot as long as it holds. I actually did some testing of my own and power pro says their supposted to be super slick and thats why yous hould double your line up when ever possible. Even check out their website for more info on it. Or even the one thing that i do is ill leave a lil longer of a tag after i cut off the excess and use just a tiny bit of super glue not on the knot but the excess line to the main line and your not will be near impossible to pull out. I havent had any problems with it yet. Any other ideas would be a huge help.
Thanks GrandPrix, yea I don't have any other idea's besides trying the double 5 Uniknot. I have had problems with braided line with a few different knots but have had great success on the Blood style knot. It's liek the clinch but you will come back through at the top. I don't know what else to use because i have lost some nice bass on jig-n-pigs using the Polimar with braided line. Thanks though, I might have to give the Double 5 Uniknot a try when open water comes around. Take care Bud!

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
grandprix2plus2 said:
Thanks GrandPrix, yea I don't have any other idea's besides trying the double 5 Uniknot. I have had problems with braided line with a few different knots but have had great success on the Blood style knot. It's liek the clinch but you will come back through at the top. I don't know what else to use because i have lost some nice bass on jig-n-pigs using the Polimar with braided line. Thanks though, I might have to give the Double 5 Uniknot a try when open water comes around. Take care Bud!

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.