Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw in the in fisherman for this month a picture of a 10# brown trout caught from lake geneva in the middle of summer from a peir. Are they in their with good numbers? What about the lake trout?? Has any1 ever tried or seen them in summer?

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
John Trossen, the main guide on the lake catches some big lakers through the ice. If you go back on Lake-Link he has some pictures from this winter. Lots of guys also troll them up with downriggers during the open water season. My friend Rich pulled out a 30''er two Novembers ago fishing for smallies as well. With that said, they are a pretty tough bite. I certainly have never sniffed one, and I often fish 30'+ deep late in the Fall. The rainbows and browns are much more sporadic. A shore fishermen caught the inland state trout record there in January 2006, which has since been broken. It also hold the inland state brown trout record. I have seen a few pics of browns the late, late season walleye trollers have pulled in and they are awesome. Very sporadic though, and the guys that have caught them have put some major time on the water. My In-Fisherman subscription is up, so I will have to pick up the issue. Should be interesting and I imagine it will spur more people to get out there and try for them.

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
Wow, 46'' pike :shock: With the size and depth I would believe it, but have never heard of one that big there. Now I definitly have to check that out. Also want to correct a typo in my last post. It was the inland record rainbow trout that was caught from shore in 06, not a lake trout.

A few years ago we saw them stock the lakers at the Fontana launch. It was quite a site as they kept shooting off a flare gun to scare away the gulls that were trying to swoop in and eat the fish in the shallows. All in all it did not do too much good as after they left the gulls moved in and had themselves a feast.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I wish you could catch them more often
Indeed, that would be nice. I think it is the sheer volume of the lake that makes attempts by the common man such a long shot. I forget its place on the list, but it one of the largest lakes by volume in the state of WI. I believe it has depths nearing 150 ft. and many areas of 100 ft. Its a big lake.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
I wish you could catch them more often
Indeed, that would be nice. I think it is the sheer volume of the lake that makes attempts by the common man such a long shot. I forget its place on the list, but it one of the largest lakes by volume in the state of WI. I believe it has depths nearing 150 ft. and many areas of 100 ft. Its a big lake.
I have ice fished Lake Geneva in 120 ft water. Chasing those Lakers. Not this year but hopefully in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.