Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not had the chance to get the boat back out since Mike and I last fished Delavan, but I did take a few "inbetween " trips to cure the itch.

Trip #1 was early in October after all the heavy rains. I usually do one wade trip a year in Indian Creek out at Shabbona. I drove by it when I was out that way and the water was looking high and really good for fishing. The next evening I headed out to give it a try. I usually come in from Shabbona Grove Rd. and work my way up. However this trip I decided to come in from the park and make the long walk down the spillway and fish it that way. I started off throwing a Mepps Agila into some of the deeper holes and cuts and ended up with 3 decent bass b/w the first pool and the train tresle. While I was at the train tresle I found a Husky Jerk that someone had broken off. While making my way back I lost the Agila to a snag so I tied the new found bait on. The sun was getting low and like a light switch, the muskies really turned on.

They are not the best pics because it was hard to find a place to set the camera and use the self timer. I originally refrained from posting this because #1 the fish can be very vulernable down there, and #2 there was some controversy on another site by a different angler. That guy was catching fish in the creek and posting reports that he was getting them in the lake. Once he was sniffed out all heck broke loose and I fgured it better to keep it on the down low. Since then, the musky club has done a fish rescue and the majority of fish are back up in the lake. Catching them in the creek (legally) can be a fun adventure though when enough fish get flushed down.

The next trip was over to my local pond where I found a decent frog bite. With it getting dark so early the window was really short for fishing but I was pleasantly suprised to see them still busting out of the slop for the BigFoot Frog.

Finally, the last trip was with Coyote to his local lake. We did not tie into anything big, but I am always happy pulling in crappie after crappie. We had a hard time getting the bigger ones, but hear is probably the nicest of the day.

All in all these were some fun trips, but I am jonesin to get the boat out at least one more time before putting the long rods up for the season :wink:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I have heard about the muskies getting trapped up in the creek out at Shabbona, Good Job out there Matt. It looks like you had a blast and safely released/revived the muskies to fight another day! :D

Nice Bass and it sounds like you had a blast with Coyote with the crappies.

Good Job Out There! 8)

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WrenchingnFishing said:
I have heard about the muskies getting trapped up in the creek out at Shabbona, Good Job out there Matt. It looks like you had a blast and safely released/revived the muskies to fight another day! :D

Good Job Out There! 8)
Thanks for the replies guys :D

Yes, I have been making the adventure up to the creek on and off for about the last 15 years, with the only real break being when I was in the military and the short time they posted it as no fishing. During certain times we have caught big cats, walleye, largemouth, crappie, and of course muskie out of there. Once you get away from the actual spillway and fish it as an actual creek/small river it can really be a blast down there for a variety of fish. I'd rather catch them in the lake, but its great when I don't feel like taking the boat out.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Yeah... I know how that goes. I often go for a walk along a creek and just happen upon GIANT MUSKY. No big deal. :roll:

Seriously though, that's a hell of an outing, Matt. Nice job and thanks for the report.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
FishinMatt said:
WrenchingnFishing said:

Good Job Out There! 8)
Thanks for the replies guys :D

Yes, I have been making the adventure up to the creek on and off for about the last 15 years, with the only real break being when I was in the military and the short time they posted it as no fishing. During certain times we have caught big cats, walleye, largemouth, crappie, and of course muskie out of there. Once you get away from the actual spillway and fish it as an actual creek/small river it can really be a blast down there for a variety of fish. I'd rather catch them in the lake, but its great when I don't feel like taking the boat out.
Thanks for the Info Matt. You certianly slayed em out there! 8)

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Catchin' that size musky from that size creek must have been a blast and certainly requires skill. If they ain't biting in the lake, that side trip can be the plan "B" that would make anyone's day...year...lifetime.

Nice Matt!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Man I would freak if that was at the end of my line :shock: ....LOL Well done Matt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.