Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whacked 6 pigs today. I ran out of football jigs. Fishing the same rocky point as yesterday. Problem with fishing from shore is the long casts needed. Zebra mussels is the culprit for break offs. Bass are active again. One was over 5 lbs but the camera phone pic came out fuzzy. No hit was felt. Just weight on the line. The point comes to 17 ft of water. I was dragging 3/4 oz football jigs over the rocky point and falls down the sharp drop. Set the hook on many snags and lost 5 very expensive jigs. It was worth it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
toothdoc said:
Nice fish Lee, but are you sure about the zebra mussels? I understand how they got into the Great Lakes, but how would they have gotten into IG? :?
Up here in northern Illinois they are everywhere. I saw some on deep lake when we fished our tournament. Next time I'm at IG I'll take some pics of the rocks on the shoreline. They're covered with them. Some of them get really big. Any water that gets transported between lakes can transfer zebra mussels, vhs, and invasive weeds.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I know very well how they get transferred from one body of water to another. I just thought that people weren't allowed to bring their own boats to IG.

Actually Jay, zebra muscles tend to clear the water up more. They are probably the main reason that Lake Michigan is so much clearer now than it was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually Jay, zebra muscles tend to clear the water up more. They are probably the main reason that Lake Michigan is so much clearer now than it was 20 years ago.[/quote]

I know that the lakes are clearer because of them. IG used to allow personal water crafts until the zebra mussels showed up. There are many more Smallmouth and Northern pike on lake michigan than 20 years ago too. I would love to do a paper tournament on the big pond. Right now the limit for smallies is 1 fish over 21".

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I didn't know that IG ever allowed personal water crafts. I agree about the smallies in LM being bigger than ever because of the zebra muscles. :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smallmouth Bass are the most opportunistic feeders. They amaze me. They figure out a way to eat based on curiosity. Their visiblity is much better with clearer water. They eat gobies, crawfish, alewives, smelt, and everything else that isnt a rock or a weed in any lake. They eat and eat and eat. This year was one of my better years in Door County. A 3 lber is a small fish up there. 10 years ago a 3 lber was a really nice bass. They are growing so fast!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Nice job out at IG Lee. Next time you take me there you will have to show me what you "really" use. Every time I go with you I get skunked. LOL

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
koolaid2313 said:
Nice job out at IG Lee. Next time you take me there you will have to show me what you "really" use. Every time I go with you I get skunked. LOL
I used Football jigs like on Long Lake when you caught the 19" LMB.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Big Bass Lee said:
koolaid2313 said:
I used Football jigs like on Long Lake when you caught the 19" LMB.

I'm just giving you a hrad time cuz I got skunked out there. :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we were out there for an hour and a half. I brought my musky rod. I have to go to round lake today. I think the bass are chasing now because of the warm weather.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.