Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, all this fishing has been really exciting. Ever since I started a couple of months ago, I hadn't caught a Bass until this past week... and they seem to be pouring in right now.

My wife and I had gone out to run some errands, and when we came back, I couldn't help but notice how full the moon was tonight. I decided to cast a few into the pond next to our town home just to practice a little. I had caught a few blue gills and cat fish in there.... but I wasn't expecting this on my third cast. My heart skipped when I realized what I had pulled in... and it's from a dinky pond. I noticed later that this pond seems to hook up with several other ponds in the neighborhood. Now it has me thinking if I should try those out as well.

I pulled this one with the same basic setup I've been catching them on... jigging 6" worms. I tried a buzz bait as the moon was full, but nada. Oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nicely Done, You never know what your neighborhood ponds will hold until you fish then :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's true... now that I think about it, our town home community was built in late-70s. If someone stocked it that long ago, there could be some nice sized Bass in there. These community ponds might be a hidden treasure trove if people assume that Bass aren't in there, so they don't fish it... or if they do fish them, they are fishing for Blue Gills, etc.

Glad you guys enjoy the pics... I really enjoy reading everyone's fishing updates on this site. It's very encouraging to see people having a good time when they go out.

Cheers!
Gabe

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today after work I thought I would scour the little pond next to our house. I've only caught one bass in it (from the original post at the top) and the past several practice runs yielded squat. It just seems like there's nothing in there and that possibly the big bass I had caught has slipped into one of the lower ponds in the neighborhood. I decided to fish the side close to the road, specifically near the "No fishing allowed" sign. It looked promising... there are tons of rocks and a good amount of plants for cover. Starting jigging a 7" worm texas rigged... bam, landed a small 10" bass about 3 feet from shore. Kept working the same side, and a few minutes later another one relatively of the same size. Kept going up the side and a third one, about 8".

Now I'm all excited... three fish in 5 minutes. I run into the house to grab my wife who hasn't caught a bass yet and hasn't seen me catch one neither. I try getting her to cast a few to see if she could get one, but nothing. I think she got a bit upset, since I kept trying to show her how to jigg the worm (she was pretty much just reeling it in). She had enough and went inside. Dang.

Later on, I convinced her to come out again... and set her up with a Buzz bait. Figured she'd have more fun working that across the water. While she was doing that... I worked the very far end near the willow tree. Within about 15 minutes, my hook sets and my drag starts running a bit. Wow am I excited. My wife is cheering me on, her fishing expectations turned 180 degrees around. I finally land the fish and wow, 15". What a beauty... and my wife isn't bad either. haha

These four fish have cured my thumbs again... I now have bass thumb on both hands!

Gabe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.