Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Based on the size of the stump it's been there since the the mid 1800's when it grew in a sometimes marshy field. The last 43 years after it was cut off, its been in three to four feet of water Drawing Big fish to its location.
10 years ago i noticed it would float up on an angle in flooded conditions but it remained connected to the bottom.

Well, Not anymore. Stump #1 broke free today and is now a couple hundred feet closer to Higgins. It was in place this morning.
Depending on the winds and flooding i can envision it moving around from time to time till it finds a new home. Can't count how many fish i caught at it. ( okay i could:))I used to wade out to it and sit on it and fish in the 90's.
Stump #2 ain't going anywhere anytime soon. and there's more than a dozen you can't see

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is why there's something so special about fishing and being in the outdoors, in general. Something as seemingly insignificant as a water logged stump can bring back fond memories from 20(+) years ago.
And I'd be willing to bet most of us have particular boulders, downed trees, or bridge pilings that have the same type of "magic."
Long live stump #2!!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, after a week it seems to have found a new home. Guessing 100’ west and 300+ feet north, way closer to Higgins now. It found the 2’-3’ muddy depth and the weeds have it now. Shit, half the bay is surface weeds in just the last week.

It ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. Unless,,,,I get a new battery, wait till the fall weed die off, or early spring, a 2-3 foot high flooding water event, toss my bow rope around it, and haul it, with some strong wind assist, to a better location. Sounds doable.:unsure::LOL:

Wow, all these thoughts about a singular stump in a lake. God I’m old:LOL:
or nostalgic.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yep.

I’ve known that stump for half my life. It was almost comfortable sitting on it when I first waded out to it, the last 5’ feet was on my tipy toes (hard bottom, chest waders).Sat about 18” out of the water back then. Two sides, one for tackle box one for me.

Seems about that high again. Could probably wade out to it, (from the opposite shoreline) though it's foot sucking muddy there.:p

glad you stayed on site, like your NC posts.(y)

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Thanks Jim. I always liked your posts. A lot of details that most don’t include but those are the things that make you a better fisherman. Paying attention to wind,temperature, cloud cover that all matters in the equation.

~JOE~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts