Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

August has come too quickly with early fall temps already in place. I've been getting out to the local subdivision ponds with bass a bit more responsive to the mighty senko. I've been working the subdivisions with some success and managed a trip out to Lake Galena which probably provided the best example of what can be had in the late summer months. Given the restrictions that the lake retains, the largemouth size and quantity gave back in generous examples of what we all should enjoy. On the other hand, given that the lake is private to those that rent or own, it is generous in what otherwise is a tough month.

As mentioned earlier here is an example of what can be had in the local retentions. It really is a small reflection of the time put in to these ponds with additional attempts that show a limited response. This in turn truly draws on the regards to patience and timing. Again senko is the magic lure at hand.

Ever since I was turned onto the "action" of the senko earlier this summer I haven't looked back.

I went out to Galena this last weekend thanks to my brother and was able to get out on the boat both Sat and Sunday. Saturday started out with some clouds in the morning but that didn't stop me from fishing the shoreline before getting in the water. Here's a couple that were caught fishing the slop that had a few openings that challenged the casting skills.

As the day progressed I rented a boat and motored on out to locations that found it's fair share of bass. Shorelines produced in a decent fashion giving me the chance to prove that smallmouth DO exist in a limited number on this lake.

Moving right along Saturday proved to be a great day with numerous largies to be had with the following topping the list.

I missed a couple of complete pigs with the reminder that when you are setting the hook on a senko you have to set the hook relentlessly. Those missed I'd like to think were bigger then those had. Alway keepin' the dream alive.

Sunday was a bit more challenging with the theory that the fish were a bit more lip ripped and reluctant to bite. Still missed a few that managed a profound " F***" that I'm sure echoed thru the lake canyon system.

Here's one that didn't miss the hook set.

Of course I am looking forward to any future outings that Galena may hold and hopefully those come soon.

As an FYI anyone interested in the opportunity to have access to this location is more then welcome to PM me for info. Requirements do include the rental of the house that would provide access to this beautiful lake.

This weekend looks to be a Kankakee wading weekend with hopeful responses to boot.

Until later, good fishing:

JB

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice fish! Nice pics!

I really enjoy that area of the state.
Just a couple weeks back from Apple Canyon Lake and already missing the scenery and the quality LMB fishing.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys....yes the Senko rocks. Unfortunately I guess it distracts me from using other items in my arsenal. If they ain't biting the senko, they ain't biting.

Hey JP-
No I didn't break out the frog...doh! I bought one just for that too. Next time.

There is alot of top water algae built up around that pier and all around the point near the marina. It makes it very difficult to fish the shoreline. The one back bay that you can drive up on has a similar issue but the algae kind of comes and goes there making for a long cast but open water is accessible.
If you get on a boat definately work as tight to the shorelines as possible. I was casting up onto the shore and pulling lure back and they would pound it. Also I was casting up under the overhanging trees and they would tear it up. Can't wait for the report.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
it been a couple weeks...but my last trip i was doing the same thing...i actually was looking for that slop...i didnt want the open water....heavy frog on the slop = monster hits...actually i threw senkos on top the slop too.

but 98% of fish came hugging the shore line...it drops quick and I was getting them...really like 2 inchs off of shore....haha Im sure my mouse, and 2 frogs are still hanging in some overhanging trees.

Im glad they still hugging that shore, because it get tough finding them on the deep points...the lake has alot of deep points...like every cove haha.

I hope my weekend plans hold up and I make it up there! Im exicited now!!!

Thanks again

JayPee

BTW nice smallie...was starting to think it was a myth!

·
Registered
826 Posts
jaypee the hhf said:
.actually i threw senkos on top the slop too.
sshhh!!! LOL- We don't want that secret getting out.

A t-rigged Senko is great in the slop and as long as there is no snot-moss, it is competely weedless! Pull it to a hole and let it fall. There's been days when I didn't even throw a frog.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys thanks for the responses! I'm headed out to Galena again this weekend and wondering what these serious rains and temp fluctuations might have on the quality of fishing.

Just wondering if JP made it out to Galena last weekend and if he can provide some detail on his outing. I hope that things recover and by Saturday the water levels out and stirs it up enough to enhance the bite rather then diminish. We will see and I hope I have a decent follow up report.

And yes this time I'm gonna break out the frog!

Thanks for the interesting replies and insight!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.