Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted on Opeka for months but have made it over there a handfull (and only a handful) of times since October. Absolutely nothing hitting anything, including worms. But I have not made the trip to get live bait, just not enough time and not sure it would pay off anyway. Water level is high and this makes the southern dropoff inaccessible. But, you can fish around the clubhouse, which is supposed to be a good hole. Have only seen a few anglers there with nothing being reeled in. But, winds have been primarily western and the drops are most accessible with eastern winds due to casting as well as presentation.

To bad you can't boat there this time of year...

In case anybody is interested..I would suggest getting a pin and hitting Opeka from may-early july as that was hopping last season. Seem to be the trend there that the pre- post- spawn is alive with LMB's from shore or boat. Outside of that window it isn't much better than most CCFP lakes except by boat and even then not too promising. But, there are fish in there and good size ones too!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
if you can fish your favorite hole in january...it's a good thing. glad you got out a few times tim. we'll have to make a trip out to opeka with you come spring.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I agree with Augy; we should have an Opeka outing (I've never fished that lake before).

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
How is the fishing on the golf course side of the lake. I saw what looks like a good spot to set up at the tee box that pracically hangs over the water. I know its probly trespassing, but I still wanna try it. :wink: I noticed that pike you got in october in the old posts. Kick ass!!

Also, whats the "pin" thing you talked about? I'm sure its something simple, but I don't get it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 'pin' is a Lake Park pass you have to purchase when the golf course opens up. During the summer they go around and check to see that if you are fishing you have one. I think they're 15 bucks or so. But during the winter don't worry, nobody cares. As for the tee that is near the water, if you are talking about the one on the south west corner (a bit north of there anyway) that is indeed a honey hole. There are submerged logs and a good drop there. Also, the next tee north, under the tree is a very nice spot. Not sure of the bottom contour but it always holds a decent number of medium sixe LMB's. Yes, you would be tresspassing, but the grounds crew is only a couple of hispanics right now who probably could care less if you are fishing over there. In fact, nobody probably cares right now as long as the golf course is closed. If it is open, forget about it. Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts