Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some debate within myself, I decided to try attempt #3 at Kenosha for some browns under the ice. Well, as the story goes, third time is the charm...

Got started around 8am. Setup two tipups about 30 yards apart. Same deal - flouro leaders with suspending spawn, about a foot off the bottom.

With my third line (in WI this is legal), I setup a slip bobber with spawn on a size 8 hook. I set my depth to 5 1/2 feet, which put my bait about a foot and a half off the bottom. I decided this was a good depth after hearing some on ice conversation about fish being marked on the flashers near the bottom.

Around 8:45 I hooked up with a spawned out, slim female. She fought hard. I probably worked her for a good 15-20 minutes before i was able to get the fish's head in the hole (6").

Spawn sitting still wasn't getting hits. I had to pop the slip bobber about a foot up and down before I had this first taker. She measured at 24", about a 4-5 lb fish.

So, fishing was pretty slow today. I watched the crowd of about 25 trickle down to about 5 of the "all day" die hards.

Around 1130 I began to think about lunch, when I saw my bobber do a little twitch. Hmm... so I loosened the slack I had, but nothing after that. I sensed that there was a fish sniffing my spawn 6 feet below me, so I gave the spawn a few shakes and then BAM the fish slammed it. Bobber went 6" under before I reacted. Hook set, and fish on.

This buck was beautifully decorated in winter post spawn colors (and a little blood after a gaff at the hole). This was a male, 22.5", and a real chunker

I gave both fish to a fellow angler, but not before I took a couples shot

Special thanks to Rootpro6 for being my camera man today (you'll get em next time bud) 8)

See ya next time

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I love the title of the post man. U really had to work to catch those fish today. Good day to be out also. Thought we would see more action with the warm Temps and overcast Skye but we didn't. Next weekend will be even better if u think about heading up there. 40 degree temps man. Anyways nice job mike.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Haha, mike... awesome fish, I know exactly where your fishing... you might see me there soon ;) (you know I'd call ya if i was going though, LOL) Sounds like you had a blast. Hit me up tomorow. I have an ice report for ya as well. we did decent, but not as well as you with browns through the ice!!! :shock:

Nice Job again!!! :D

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
Haha, mike... awesome fish, I know exactly where your fishing... you might see me there soon ;) (you know I'd call ya if i was going though, LOL) Sounds like you had a blast. Hit me up tomorow. I have an ice report for ya as well. we did decent, but not as well as you with browns through the ice!!! :shock:

Nice Job again!!! :D
Dave make sure u fill ur bobber with some jim bean also!! Ha. How'd u do at the lake u went to today? Pm me if ya want.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WrenchingnFishing said:
Haha, mike... awesome fish, I know exactly where your fishing... you might see me there soon ;) (you know I'd call ya if i was going though, LOL)
Ice fishing at Kenosha is no secret. There's really only two places you can walk on with safe ice 8)

Catching browns through the ice is a blast! I'll probably be out there again next weekend, or try a spot for some winter steelie action....

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Great job!!I can't wait to go hit some browns at the local harbors here when the ice lets up :mrgreen: That just gets me more excited.... Aghhh!! Beautiful fish especially the second! Save the best for last :wink: :wink: 8)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Awesome fish Mike! I would love to hit up Kenosha before the end of the season. I will let you know if we can get up there with you next weekend.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mplant1 said:
Catching browns through the ice is a blast! I'll probably be out there again next weekend, or try a spot for some winter steelie action....
For sure man. I'm thinking Sunday all day but what about the 40 degree temps? Won't ice be unsafe

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
You will be hearing alot of cracking this weekend thats for sure. That north harbor has alot of current underneath it and after 2 days of above freezing temps with rain its going to be indteresting. Again nice job Mike. You still interested in that LX2 if not I have another buyer.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Legend075 said:
You still interested in that LX2 if not I have another buyer.
Damn. I completely forgot dude. If you have another buyer, go ahead and sell it.

I know there is current in the harbor - but temps during the nights this week will be single digits then on Friday it warms to 33. Not enough to do much. Saturday will warm up - but leads to a problem. It will rain. When it rains, the pipes run. How will that affect fishing and water clarity? I am now rethinking next weekends plans...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
mplant1 said:
WrenchingnFishing said:
Haha, mike... awesome fish, I know exactly where your fishing... you might see me there soon ;) (you know I'd call ya if i was going though, LOL)
Ice fishing at Kenosha is no secret. There's really only two places you can walk on with safe ice 8)

Yea, I am not sure how that harbor freezes... That's around where I fish during the fall. Seems to be a nice hott spot with how the current works. I know it's no secret, I just don't know how the ice freezes and if you are able to get out farther on the ice in the harbor more towards the mouth or the pipe... I need to catch me a brown! :p

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.