Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a call from JNap! Only got one word to describe it! Wowzer-eee-hoogly-boogly!!!!

6 lb 2 oz : 20.5 inch Smallmouth bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

JNap will post pics as soon as he gets home, jerks off to the smallie pics, drinks 8 shots of jack daniels to calm his nerves, and finally realizes what he has caught! :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Caught using one of my hand tied jigs with a blade runner molded into the head it was tipped with a JDC 4 inch strike grub watermelon black & red fleck color. http://www.jdcbaits.com/index.html

Yeah one word...........Wow!
Biggest smallie of my life but I hope I'm lucky enough in my lifetime to catch another one of same size, 1/2 lb bigger is what I'm looking for :wink: It might not end up being me who catches it but I imagine the state record will be remade in the next year or two, the fish keep getting bigger every year.
When I first set the hook I thought it was a snag, I moved the rod tip a good 6-8ft in the air and it felt like I buried the hook on one of those buoy marker chains, time to cut the line type deal. The fish didn't move for a few seconds in the beginning. I think it might have been surprised it got caught? Seriously first 45 seconds after I saw the fish I was pissed cuz I thought it was a carp, in the water the fish looked too big to be a bass. Fish ran back down deep 4 times, each time I was surprised to hear my drag go like that this early in the year. If I had been near any rocks this fish would just be another story, there is no way I would've landed this fish having to get it up through the erosion rocks that line the shore. I felt very lucky to get the net on him on the second try. Even when I got it out of the net I was in disbelief. I called about 20 people to get Bob Long or Ed Bohn's number to ask them what I need to do to get this fish verified. Tared just prior to weighing my Salter spring scale from cabelas only got to 6lb 2oz. It was caught in about 18-20 feet of water. I can't imagine what that 12lb behemoth out of Dale Hollow, Tennessee looked like :shock:
I was using 8lb vanish flouro on a 7ft med action rod with a Diawa Black Widow II 2500 series reel. I responded to it previously in a post under tackle questions, I will put any Diawa with the new Digi-gear feature(Excelor, Widow & Theory models) against any other reel regardless of price. I know I sound like an advertisement but man that reel handled this fish well. Smooth when the drag was winding out and instantly responsive when it was my turn to take back some line.

It was a female that had already begun establishing girth(eggs this early?)
Fish was photographed as it was being released and swam away strong immediately after re-entering the water :wink: 8)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Holy sh**, look at that fat bastard, and that's one hell of a big fish too. For that Jnap I'll give you my go-to rig. That way both you and Augy will be Shoulin Scooby-Doo masters. Nice fish.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Another 5 oz and Dale Bowman's talking bout the new state record in tomorrow sun times :D It was awfully close

I'm almost mad at myself not for not getting better measurements. Was 20.5 but that was while the fish was in my hand mouth open and without the tail closed. I prolly coulda squezzed another inch out of her with a lil pullin & stretchin :lol:
I was really in a hurry to get the fish back in the water. This early in the year with water temps as cold as they are, 43 degrees, even a small amount of stress can kill a fish so as soon as I saw it didn't weigh over 6lb 6oz it was mad rush to get her back in the water. She wasn't back in more than a few seconds when she swam away strong right back down to where I pulled her from :wink:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I take a trip up to Michigan everyyear and have caught a couple of smallies up there, on a perch colered fat-rap, but nothing consistent. I know they love the color red, but can you give me some tips on basic lure choices?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Caught using one of my 1/8 oz hand tied jigs with a blade runner molded into the head(I use the one's like storm sells in 4 packs, in the water it swims like the old mister twister timber doodle weedless spoon for those of us old enough to remember those :) it was tipped with a JDC 4 inch strike grub watermelon black & red fleck color.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Yeah I found out what the record was about 5-6 years ago and have been fishing for one fish ever since ;) I don't know about calling anything in? Nothing to call in if it isn't a record imo. I'm not into the state "angler awards". Almost snipped a fin for a guy I know that does marine biology fishery work though. I didn't have the right stuff with me to keep it how it needs to be kept(in a tube with rubbing alcohol or something? I have the instructions written down somewhere). Even if I had the right stuff with me there wasn't enough time, I fought the fish for too long as it was in my opinion. Ran back down 4 times each time exerting what I can only assume to be quite a bit of energy for as slow as their metabolism is right now. Once I knew it wasn't the record my only concern was making sure it was released and lived, pretty one track minded. I'm not interested in removing such an integral part of the ecosystem for some superficial award or $150 that a local bait shop is offering lol. Without a doubt the fish could've been over 21 inches laid out flat with the mouth closed and tail shut. When I get one over 7lbs it will be time for all that :D

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
If you believe you have a state record, you're supposed to have it weighed at a "certified" weigh station. I'm pretty sure Henry's is a weigh-in point. Not sure about Park Bait or other places. I'll give it a looking into.

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Man, Jnap I have to congrat you on the catch again. What an awesome fish. I also commend you for having a good scale on hand and getting her back in the water quickly when she was a few ounces short. Lots of people kill fish because they think they dont have the proper equipment but think they have a record and end up falling short. Kudos for doing it the right way with a quick release :!: That fish will probably be a record when she gets some more eggs in her belly.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.