Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the lock post below, you sound like you really know how to cook up the field and stream.
Possum innards and pickled redhorse Yum. What other delectables would you cook up?

I'll bring some fresh Morels for you to use at the start of May otherwise dried.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
You should have me over for dinner some night, as long as were not making anything from my cookbook, and I bring mine over to share recipes :D

The hardest part was deciding whether to put the squirrel tail in the pot or send it in to mepps for $

·
Registered
164 Posts
That was the biggest fish I ever cought. I am new to fishing... This was quite some welcome lol. Weather you like it or not fish are meant to be eaten, so are cows, pigs,and chickens. That monster probably was the reason for your dimineshing population in bass dont blame it on the fishermen. (We are in america not india).

Just my two cents God Bless America.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
danysdman said:
That was the biggest fish I ever cought. I am new to fishing... This was quite some welcome lol. Weather you like it or not fish are meant to be eaten, so are cows, pigs,and chickens. That monster probably was the reason for your dimineshing population in bass dont blame it on the fishermen. (We are in america not india).

Just my two cents God Bless America.
I'm not aware of any diminishing population of bass in the Fox?
Could you provide a link to your source for that information i.e.;creel surveys?

For what it's worth bass make up an extremely small percentage of Muskellunge dietary preference.

"Those Musky are eating all the bass!!" Is actually kind of old school (outdated) thinking.
Just trying to be informative...not being a prick...honest=)

Welcome to fishing on the internet :lol: and congrats on the Musky=)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks bud your probably the only guy here that knows anything lol. Yeah some guy made a comment on the last forum topic that its fishermen like me that diminish the pop of fishing. I beg to differ did you see how many dead fish in the goons thats I assume due the the lack of oxygen in the water.

:)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
danysdman said:
Thanks bud your probably the only guy here that knows anything lol.
Au contraire ...this board is a wealth of information from numerous exceptional anglers. I am humbled in their presence.

Some guys are just VERY passionate about their preferred species. Who can blame a man for his dedicated conviction?

ya know=)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If we were in India, I'd be wearing one of the face masks on the back of my head while fishing. Those tigers have a taste for human flesh, I hear they sneak up on people sitting on buckets down by the river.

Nice Muskie. What did you catch it on?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Thanks for playing peacemaker Darth. You sir are one classy dude :wink:

Dan, the reason the first thread was locked was to avoid drama. This is not our first rodeo (aka musky on a stringer) on WCF. You had every right to keep that fish, and I can understand your excitement with it being your biggest ever fish. Congrats on that. We often judge people without taking a moment to stand in their shoes for a second. I think this was the case in your post. Guys were jumping on you without realizing that you are new to fishing and how thrilled you had to be to catch a muskie like that. With that said, hopefully you are willing to listen to some of the comments that are sure to follow on the Fox river muskie population, musky in general, and the benefits or catch and release with some of our larger predators.

We will keep this thread open and see how it goes. Play nice boys :p

BTW-Quetico is right about the masks :shock:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can see how some people may have a good point or two. I am a reasonable guy. (the tiger thing is true they like bucket heads) I am not a bucket head in general I catch and release because I mostly like salmon. I can see how that turned into a lama drama but then again fishing is almost like a religon for some. (And we all know how religous debates can turn out). But we should focus on the dirty scum that leave garbage around our parks and pollute our lakes and rivers. The fish can be reproduced constantly at fisheries and that prob can be solved but if its dirty fish cant live too long and therefore become what they are meant to be.

I used a green YUM lure meant for bass. I was originally using a rapala rattle minnow but no luck.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I do believe my initial post on this was supportive with what he did. I have always been in total support of anyone wanting to keep a legal fish. I am totally against putting the poor thing on a wall as a trophy. Hell, I have my own smallie taste test going on comparing how smallies taste out of different bodies of water. So far it's inconclusive. They're the best tasting fish out there no matter what body of water they come out of.

I expected different.

What I can't stand is the idea of dead things hanging on walls. If you are going to go out and spend a day in the woods or on the water and kill things, then you better eat it. Better yet, cook it up and share it with friends. It's all part of the process.

Ken you're right they're not that bad tasting really but with all your knowledge I am surprised you still feel this way.
It's exactly my knowledge of the Fox that lets me feel that way. Years ago I was very involved with working with a few DNR fisheries biologists, used to collect the data from all their shocking surveys, used to have extensive conversations about fish population health, participated in a couple of shocking surveys and between that and the shocking surveys from the rest of the river it would surprise you where these fish are. Guys might want to catch 48 inch muskie out of the Fox, but the reality is very few would ever get that big. Rivers are tough on fish. Haven't you ever noticed how they look almost nothing like their lake cousins. Much leaner and fight much meaner.

I would much rather rest my decision on the science of fisheries that the DNR conducts rather than the opinion of fisherman, which is generally more emotion based than anything else. Ask the average fisherman about dams. Then try to get them to cite the science behind what should be done with them.

Nobody has been able to show that these fish are reproducing in the river. Even though this is not impossible since their traditional habitat is rivers, not lakes. If you want more muskie in the Fox, then make sure there is nothing in there way when they flip the dam or go through the locks on the Chain. The next time there is a muskie rescue in Somanauk Creek below Lake Holiday or Indian Creek at Shabonna Lake, make sure you put a stop to it. Also make sure they take down the netting that is at the tops of the dams to keep muskie from going over them.

Where do you think a lot of those lower Fox muskie are coming from?

I threw away all the info I collected a couple of years ago. There's nothing more I need to know or prove. But before this topic ever comes up again about any of the river species, somebody needs to call the fisheries biologists. You can get through to them at Silver Springs. See what they have to say before making generalities about the scarcity of any of these fish.

As for a 7 course meal, I think a game dinner is in order. I can bring squirrel and chipmunks (the grouse of the rodent world).

I also have 26 recipes for raccoon.

And Quetico, where's your Apple River camp? I set up mine about 1.5 miles down from the main park. Apple River smallies are the standard to which all other smallies are being held to.

It's like they've been marinated in a mild maple syrup.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Ken G said:
And Quetico, where's your Apple River camp? I set up mine about 1.5 miles down from the main park. Apple River smallies are the standard to which all other smallies are being held to.
AAAAAHHHH.... So that would explain why me and Coppolino didn't catch much from that "Ken G" stretch when we had our FHQ rodeo last September. :p

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
danysdman said:
I can see how some people may have a good point or two. I am a reasonable guy. (the tiger thing is true they like bucket heads) I am not a bucket head in general I catch and release because I mostly like salmon. I can see how that turned into a lama drama but then again fishing is almost like a religon for some. (And we all know how religous debates can turn out). But we should focus on the dirty scum that leave garbage around our parks and pollute our lakes and rivers. The fish can be reproduced constantly at fisheries and that prob can be solved but if its dirty fish cant live too long and therefore become what they are meant to be.

I used a green YUM lure meant for bass. I was originally using a rapala rattle minnow but no luck.
Just so you know...the buckethead comment in my post was not aimed at you, just that spot in general and things I've seen there. I did think that you were fishing for a controversy after the last musky on a stringer thread. I apologize if I got the wrong idea. Congrats on the fish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ken, most of the time I camp at the State Park. Every summer a group of us get invited to stay on a farm the boarders the Apple north of Townsend Rd. The Cliffs are across the river from where we camp and there is a great run you can hike up.

I have waded 1.5 miles down from the state park, at least it felt like it, can't picture where you are camping. You camping off Bourquin Rd? I'm interested to find out.

As far as the seven course dinner, someone needs to teach me how to skin and carve the meat off these animals. I'm missing out. What do we have so far? Squirrel, Chipmunk, Possum, and Redhorse. Who can get a Turtle, a few Rabbits, and some type of fowl?

Best tasting smallmouth - The ones from Quetico park have to be as good as any. Haven't try one from the Apple yet, I'll try this year.

Andrew, is Ken steering you to the the Thompson/Salem unit? Hanover Bluff Area or the Salem Unit pass Scout Camp Road both have public land on the river, although one may need to repel from a cliff to enter the river.

Danysdman, your right on about the garbage compare to keeping a legal fish. People need to eat, and catching your own meal is better for the environment than going to the store and buying some frozen fish. Leaving garbage is just lazy and disrespectful.

·
Banned
655 Posts
quetico said:
Andrew, is Ken steering you to the the Thompson/Salem unit? Hanover Bluff Area or the Salem Unit pass Scout Camp Road both have public land on the river, although one may need to repel from a cliff to enter the river.
Kevin, I believe that was the area. It was my first time at the Apple and neither was I the guide as my friend did the driving to the spot, but Townsend rd. sounds very familiar.

We started the wade and dumped in right below a bridge, we waded all along rock walls, around some very deep pools that were probably 6ft+ , and then concluded at another bridge that was about 1 mile downstream. To get out we had to hop a metal guard fence near the bridge/road.

All I know is that we got this hook-up thru Ken, we drove off to the middle of nowhere, and it probably would have helped had I paid attention to exactly where the hell we were. HAHAHA

Start:

Cool walls:

Catch a few this size:

Finish and walk back to car:

Can't wait to get back there again later in spring... Probably mid-May'ish.

Looking at the area map, have any of you ever fish or wade the stretch further south along S. Apple River Road?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Andrew, that is it. Where there any cows in the water north of the bridge you starting at?

The rock wall area looks great and has good depth, but I almost always do better downstream in some of the bends. My kids do well there with live bait. If you kept wading pass the bridge you exited, you come upon the Salem unit state property.

The Apple is is a perfect summertime river for my kids to play in. Any where North of the big pool is basically safe for the kids to explore and wade.

Hunting Crayfish

After a heavy rain our swimming hole turns into a scary place.

·
Registered
97 Posts
danysdman said:
But we should focus on the dirty scum that leave garbage around our parks and pollute our lakes and rivers. The fish can be reproduced constantly at fisheries and that prob can be solved but if its dirty fish cant live too long and therefore become what they are meant to be.
Congrats on the fish. I agree completely with the idea of cleaning the water systems we all love to fish. Its a constant battle that we each can help by doing our part. As far as reproducing these fish at fisheries there is only so much the DNR can do they only have so much money to go around in stocking programs, so try if you can to help them by being selective with what you keep. Part of the reason i am commenting on this subject is we are only a few weeks into the season and i have been shocked looking at peoples stringers when im out fishing. I know that everyone is excited to get out and catch those first fish of the season but there has to be some common sense practiced. I have seen everything from catfish weighing mere ounces to 5 pound large mouths on peoples stringers and in buckets. Along with cleaning up after ourselves when we fish we have to keep into consideration what we can do to improve future fishing in general. For example try and only keep fish of average size we refer to as "eaters" or whatever you wish to call them for the dinner plate(and keep them in reasonable numbers). As far as trophy fish go with the advancements in fiberglass fish reproduction you can get your fish on the wall while you are giving another angler an opportunity to catch the same great fish. And dont take this post the wrong way am not trying to lecture anyone just giving my opinion, i keep several fish throughout the year for eating its part of what i love about the sport. I just think that done with care we will all catch more and bigger fish for a longer time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.