Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again with the above normal water levels of rivers out there, the focus has been put on a couple of ponds/lakes with in DuPage County. I really consider myself a river wader first and foremost but I'll always use the other bodies of water as a close runner up when times are tough. A couple of weeks ago I headed out with the family to Galena and faired pretty well on the lake out there. More quantity then quality with the following being probably the biggest caught:

Closer to home, I went on over to a pond that I've fished pretty heavily during the prespawn. Unfortunately I've had minimal success once summer arrives. Weed growth and algae blooms seem to put a damper on the bite. Perseverance does pay off tho. I've recently been tuned into the use of the senko with above average results. On Tuesday I went out to the pond and after taking awhile to find the fish I managed the next few with in an hours time frame. It was pretty fast and furious with some decent size to the mix. I really believe the pre-front conditions had alot to do with it...along with the offering at hand. The senko fished weightless. There may be a duplicate in the pics but it was a pretty fish so it deserved the exposure. :D

If you notice the fishes' tail fin, some had some reddish marks where I think they were still in recovery mode from spawning.

All fish were caught with in an area the size of about 15 x 15 ft. I did manage to pop a couple on my way out but the above pics were the best of the bunch.

See ya on the water!

JB

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies! I really want to expand my results to bigger lakes but I'm limited to shore fishing when it comes to these areas. Invites are welcome! :D

I was supposed to make my way out to Galena this weekend but a last minute rental thwarted that thought. Maybe in the next couple weeks.

Went down to the Kank today and drifted for some cats. My buddy managed a couple but we went during mid day and the bite was tough. It felt good to do a bit of wet wading, I'm sure if we had gone at sunset we would have slayed them but schedules come first....unfortunately.

BTW, water levels on the kank are very much wadeable. Clarity is at least 15 " with very little moss to deal with. Good timing for a smallie outing for those that have access during the week.

See ya on the water!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.