Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a late start as it was a wild Halloween night. 8) Fished a few hours in the morning and did well going 3 for 5. A couple of steelies and 1 brown. Had to work really hard for them as the bite was very light. Tubes and spawn where todays menu.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glad to see you made it out Hooky Hooky, Nice Crappies!!! I rolled in around 5:30am with a Fat Sack Of White Castles After Educating some People on how to really get your drink on. :lol: Gotta love the Light Weights.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
ChgoEnforcer said:
Glad to see you made it out Hooky Hooky, Nice Crappies!!! I rolled in around 5:30am with a Fat Sack Of White Castles After Educating some People on how to really get your drink on. :lol: Gotta love the Light Weights.

Chuck
LOL, Just like ice fishing n drinking!!! When Larry closes his shanty up, you know he is passing out!!! :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Not sure what you do with your fish but here is my gramp's recipe for smok'n em:

Smoked Fish
Clean and soak overnight in Salt Brine increase ingredients for more than one Salmon.

1 C Sugar...either prefer brown
1 C Salt (Commercial type Coarse Ground)
1 Quart Water

Soak, overnight, rinse in clear cold water, and place on rack to dry off for a couple hours.

Smoker: Use wood chips of your choice.. Hickory, Chipolte, Apple, or other. Light and let it reach about 160 degrees. Spray grills with oil, or wipe so fish does not stick to grills. Takes about four hours. Keep adding chips for constant heat.

This can also be done on a Weber grill. Takes a couple hours, and you must turn every 1/2 hour.

Some fishermen put this in the freezer for snacks during the winter. We never stored it.

There is also a pickling brine that makes Salmon like herring if you would like that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
koolaid2313 said:
Not sure what you do with your fish but here is my gramp's recipe for smok'n em:

Smoked Fish
Clean and soak overnight in Salt Brine increase ingredients for more than one Salmon.

1 Quart Water

Soak, overnight, rinse in clear cold water, and place on rack to dry off for a couple hours.

Smoker: Use wood chips of your choice.. Hickory, Chipolte, Apple, or other. Light and let it reach about 160 degrees. Spray grills with oil, or wipe so fish does not stick to grills. Takes about four hours. Keep adding chips for constant heat.

This can also be done on a Weber grill. Takes a couple hours, and you must turn every 1/2 hour.

Some fishermen put this in the freezer for snacks during the winter. We never stored it.

There is also a pickling brine that makes Salmon like herring if you would like that.
Same recipe I use for Jerky!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
koolaid2313 said:

Smoked Fish

1 Quart Water

Thanks Karen I will have to give it a try sometime but both fish were release. The only fish i take are the rainbows / steelies in the 3-5# range and everything else bigger gets thrown back. I will only take a brown for its loose eggs.

This is a good eater size anything bigger back to the small pond.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Legend075 said:
Thanks Karen I will have to give it a try sometime but both fish were release. The only fish i take are the rainbows / steelies in the 3-5# range and everything else bigger gets thrown back. I will only take a brown for its loose eggs.

This is a good eater size anything bigger back to the small pond.
You are so correct! The nice thing about that recipe is that it can be used on the bigger fish and they will not be oily. The fish going up to spawn and die are good for this recipe depending what stage they are in when you catch them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice fish. It's fun to hook those fish on tinsels or tubes.

That place just under the north side of the bridge on the east side of the channel is a very good spot. You got to get there early or it tends to clog up. Everyone should fish there if they get the opportunity. Got to get there early on the weekends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.