Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out Saturday morning for several hours down on the lower Kank. ~1.55', 2450 cf/s, 52-56 degree water temp over the day, measured out of Wilmington. Clarity ~3'. I think I do like the new USGS format after playing with on desktop, cool to see the map of other monitoring locations as well the upstream drainage basin from a particular monitoring location on the river. Would be interesting to compare the drainage basin with doppler radar when a storm comes through. Algae continues to be an issue covering a ton of the river bottom. Only areas of current and/or depth seem to be clean. Some floating throughout the water column but not terrible.

First spot complete bust, higher water didn't shape up the pool like I thought it would, algae terrible as well in all the soft water. Second spot got my first smallie that revealed itself busting baitfish weak riffles at the head of a deep, slow pool. Found a small school of smallies in a soft, shallow, algae covered pool depression near shore from random cast. I think the school was cruising to ambush baitfish. Few other instances of fish busting on baitfish. A series of small splashes. Not far ahead was another hole where I've got some walleye out of in the past. Minimal algae here, solid limestone bottom about 5' deep with random boulders and a vein of boulders on the side where the main current flows. Several passes with a swimbait got a few smallies, flat sided crank and later a jerkbait triggered two walleye and a couple dink smallies. Fish positioned all over the hole. No size to any of the smallies. Still want to check some other spots on the Kank before the water temp really crashes. I think I'll bring back out some topwaters, a walking bait. Topwater in November o_O

1 - 1 of 1 Posts