Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Monday off and wanted to get out on the water, haven't been fishing much this summer. Dupe was flooded and I've had the itch to make it down to the Kankakee again for a while. I've only been once before and it was two years ago or so and we fished it for a few hours. Gauge out of Wilmington didn't look too bad and neither did Momence Sunday night, I thought it was actually cresting and it did before the bump from rains in Indiana I assume. Out of Wilmington it was ~3000cf/s and 1.8'. A long drive later I arrive to very stained water, rising, and at times tons of grass clumps floating down the river. I packed for slightly stained water but not mud so I was thinking I was in trouble. I kid you not, I caught three mussels before I got a dink smallie lmao. I fought the first one briefly. 3" chigger craw, finesse jig, 3" paca craw, 4" pitboss, and jackhammer stealth blade did all the work. Couldn't buy a bite with topwater, thought it could be my search bait. Took a while to get my first fish, a lot of dinks over the day. Ran into some better fish later on. They seemed to want the craw more if you threw it in the right spots. Size probably didn't matter, you had to put the lure near them in the mud for them to find it. Fish in the head of riffles, current seams, middle and heads of small pools and large pools, and off water willows with current. Saw a gar surfacing but no multispecies action for me. Tons of mayflies hatching and landing all over me, smaller fish were definitely feeding on them. A nice change of pace to fish a large river. I could have squatted on those large pools for much longer catching fish but I wanted to explore some. Tough to get a read on bottom structure when it's stained, would like to return when it's low and clear just to see what I missed.

This lil guy is a softball

About an 18 olive lmao

1 - 2 of 2 Posts