Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get my mind off of it, returned the Kank early Sunday. Rolled in at exactly 6:31am and the park opens at 6:30. The place was empty so it was nice for the first few hours. ~2300cf/s and 1.5' measured out of Wilmington. Vis was about 1' to 2' in better areas. Started where I left off last time and just worked upstream. Still can't buy a bite on topwater here, not sure what the deal is. Small craws, finesse jigs, and stealth jackhammer is what worked. These fish really relate to current a lot, could only get bit in areas of decent current or on the seams. Nothing in the large rocky eddies or any type of softer water. Far different than my familiar Dupage river. In a way I was able to narrow down my focus to find the fish. The section I worked had areas of a lot of grass which surprised me. Area's barren of grass and good current had fish, most often the main channel. Light bites on the craw, thumping the jackhammer. Got a nice walleye that really thumped the craw. The smallies fight so hard in the heavy current of the Kank, I was often expecting a bigger fish.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can't get my mind off of it, returned the Kank early Sunday. Rolled in at exactly 6:31am and the park opens at 6:30. The place was empty so it was nice for the first few hours. ~2300cf/s and 1.5' measured out of Wilmington. Vis was about 1' to 2' in better areas. Started where I left off last time and just worked upstream. Still can't buy a bite on topwater here, not sure what the deal is. Small craws, finesse jigs, and stealth jackhammer is what worked. These fish really relate to current a lot, could only get bit in areas of decent current or on the seams. Nothing in the large rocky eddies or any type of softer water. Far different than my familiar Dupage river. In a way I was able to narrow down my focus to find the fish. The section I worked had areas of a lot of grass which surprised me. Area's barren of grass and good current had fish, most often the main channel. Light bites on the craw, thumping the jackhammer. Got a nice walleye that really thumped the craw. The smallies fight so hard in the heavy current of the Kank, I was often expecting a bigger fish.

Sounds spot on from my experience in the State Park. 4" tubes were just killer. Never did very good with top water in the State Park. Desplaines Conservation area is a different story, at least for me. And i'm pretty certain i recognize the area. Used to fish it alot. Strangely, the one area i did ok with top water was down stream of Warner Bridge. Not sure why. There used to be one area where i could always count on a buzz bait bite from now until the end of the Sept. I'm told the river structure there has changed quite a bit since.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few stealth jackhammers and throw them on a regular basis, out of stubbornness, but I don't think I caught one fish.
I picked one up very cheap to try out. I think it has it's place. I usually use a normal chatterbait in stained water, stealth in slightly stained water, and a swimbait on a jig head in clear water. The stealth surprisingly comes through rock kind of decent. It darts pretty good too with a quick handle turn and quick pause. I had a fluke type trailer on it that really made it dart.

Sounds spot on from my experience in the State Park. 4" tubes were just killer. Never did very good with top water in the State Park. Desplaines Conservation area is a different story, at least for me. And i'm pretty certain i recognize the area. Used to fish it alot. Strangely, the one area i did ok with top water was down stream of Warner Bridge. Not sure why. There used to be one area where i could always count on a buzz bait bite from now until the end of the Sept. I'm told the river structure there has changed quite a bit since.
Yep, right in the heart of the state park. Worked upstream this time from Rock Creek up to the foot of Willow Island. Spent a couple hours reading old Kank reports the last few days across the various forums, came across you handle a few times. Man, the Kank boards used to be rocking. A shame it doesn't fish as good as it used to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts