Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
~750cf/s and 0.90' measured out of Wilmington. Got out late this afternoon until dark on the lower Kank. Wanted to try out an area closer than the state park. A good time to explore as the river is really low. The area I was in had some stain, maybe 2ft of vis. Just worked a river wide series of riffles. Nothing on topwater, no bumps on a swimbait, everything on a 3" black and blue chigger craw on an 1/8oz Owner finesse football head because I left the green pumpkin ones in the car. Not sure if color would have mattered, I'd have preferred GP for the water color. I will note it would seem like the fish like chigger craws over paca craws, both 3". Often only just dead drifted through spots, not sure what their deal is there, ran with the chiggers. Quick pops will sometimes get them to eat again after first tapping it. Got a dink walleye, couple dinks and average smallies. A lot of rough fish around surfacing. One bumped my line and then jumped. Thought it was an Asian carp but I don't think they're up that far on the Illinois River. Toward the end of the evening I waded near where I got in and refished two large pools with decent depth for the area. Nothing in the mid river one. The one near shore, dead square in the flat water, I feel no bite just weight and set the hook into something large. I was thinking catfish and then it rocketed straight up in the air. Absolute stud. Measured ~20.5". One of the biggest river smallmouth I've caught.

Celebratory cigar

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice fish! The surfacing fish bumping in that area are gar. In the deeper pool there is a lot of them there. Is grass floating down river still bad there?
Grass was not floating down river. I didn't see much grass growth in the area I was in. I did see in the recent suntimes report that the floating grass/moss was bad, probably referring to upstream a ways. I've seen the gar around but I think what I kept seeing were buffalo smallmouth. Dark, carp shaped, forked tail. Mostly at the heads of riffles like they were spawning.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts