Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Better sorry than safe" is my motto so I decided a couple of years ago to add a red/green bow light to my kayak in addition to the required white light in the rear. I feel sorry for the poor inattentive or inebriated boater who mows my kayak over with his high horsepower machine. With the white light alone, I know I'll get his house out of the preventable accident. If I have the bow light on too, I'll have a better case and will walk off with his boat and pickup truck in addition to his house. :thumbup: I'm not heartless...he can keep his smelly poles, crap tackle and his smelly woman.

Many moons ago, I picked up this bowlight cheap at a K-fart that was going out of business.

I never used it because it required 2 D batteries and has a 16 gigawatt incandescent bulb to suck the batteries dry in no time flat. Do they even make D cells anymore? I can't even imagine what they must cost. All I remember from growing up regarding those D cell batteries was the batteries were always dead or so low the flashlight was pointless.

I decided to convert it to LED and started with one of those free flashlights Harbor Freight puts in your bag every time you check out.

I took a Dremel and carefully sawed off the front of the flashlight so the LEDs could shine outwardly to the sides and not just forward like a focused flashlight.

A slab of pool noodle.

It's very bright and functions perfectly.

I've night fished up to 8 hours straight with it and it shines as bright when I get off the water as it did when I launched. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, D cells!

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
This is something I really dig. Its perfect, because I don't want anything permanent for something I might do once or twice a year. Brings me to another point, wish there were more night options around here.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Just noticed - is that a banana or are you just happy?

My latest fishing related equip. thing was hot gluing the styrofoam floatation things back onto my solo canoe yesterday. Noticed they were coming loose at Morrison Rockwood Monday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was interesting and a little surprising to read. To the truce, I don't see the point of this light. Why do we need red and green if only white lights are allowed? I agree that it looks nice, but it's still a suspicious combination. Nevertheless, having an extra/alternative light on the boat is very important. I once went fishing on my boat and forgot to check to make sure everything was working properly. It was 3 a.m. when the light in my boat suddenly went out. It was hard to get home. After that, I always take a high-powered LED flashlight with me in case something like that happens. But it never happened again.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have a fishing boat and I can tell you that seeing a Kayak. Can be hard at times please make yourself as visible as possible. Especially on the river
A flag is a big help to. And navigation lights are a must

1 - 11 of 11 Posts