Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I enjoyed a bike ride downtown and stopped by the park at Wolf Point (the confluence of the north, south and main branches of the Chicago River). There was a couple kayaking around and it looked like an awesome thing to do - kayaking the Chicago River downtown.

There were however, lots of large tour boats and other vessels traversing the waters, creating quite a wake. Has anyone kayaked the river downtown? I'll bet it would be an awesome thing to do, but worry about the traffic.

Also, talked to the couple briefly and they mentioned a place to launch for 10 bucks but I couldn't hear the name. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've always wanted to do that! I hear the smallie fishing on the Chicago is decent these days too; let's put together an outing.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I have seen people kayaking the chicago river downtown there Jason. Like Solo said I believe there was actually a chicago river kayak tour that was being run a few years ago, not sure if it still is I haven't seen it yet this year. There was an article in the trib/suntimes about a very interesting kilt wearing young man who worked at either erehwon or rei on clybourn & north and kayaked the river to work everyday from his apt somewhere up north near lawrence. I used to live right there so I have put a canoe in just south of north ave adjacent to what is now the whole foods parking lot, not sure if you can still do that but there is a concrete staircase that leads down to the river that seemed too ideal to have been built for any other purpose. I've gone as far south as kinzie and as far north as the diversey aeration plant from that launch point. There is also a local rowing team that puts in on the other side there by the Comcast bldg, not sure if that is public or private access though. If you do some searching I'm sure you can find a launch point close enough to get down there pretty easy, more of an issue of how comfortable you are in your pwc dodging the traffic.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
With two gators being pulled out of the Chicago River last year alone...I wouldn't be getting that low to the water! I'd need atleast a lesson or two in gator wrestling before I'd consider it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Back in the summer of 2008, I went on the Ghosts and Gangsters kayak tour on the Chicago River. It launches from somewhere by the riverwalk. I can't remember where exactly. It was a lot of fun and a great time with friends.

We also had a Chicago Tribune writer along for the ride, who was able to capture when I was rammed in my kayak and fell into the river. I was sick for two full days after this happened and the tour guide said that was the first time in 15 years he had ever been with someone who fell in :D

Here's a link to the article he wrote if you're in for a good read/laugh: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...60177_1_gangsters-chicago-river-lake-michigan

I recommend river kayaking..just try to stay dry.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The entire stretch is supposed to be no-wake but we all know it isn't. There's a decent population of bass in there but the reason you'd want to yak the river is for the unique experience. IMO- Catching some bass would be secondary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts