Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got to the pike around 615 and stayed till 1. Started off by the mouth and it was a complete zooooo!!! Didnt even bother to fish it. Saw a few landed on glow ko. Decided to hit a spot on pike that I knew held fish Nd well it did. Within the first hour I had 2 fish. 1 male and 1 beatiful silver female. Both were caught on a mepps cleo. Yes a mepps cleo. They r very very small and with the colors I was using it was a blast. I lost 3 of them and my dad lost 2. Fish were very active between 8-10. Then it slowed down but fish were moving every few minutes around me. Went to pets park and didnt see nothing at all. Saw quite a few fisherman back deep in the woods which surprised me. No fish for them either. Went back to mouth around noon to finish up and didnt get anything. Right when I got there I saw a guy get a 8 pounder on a thunderstick. Surprised the hell out of me cause he wasn't casting far at all. Tried digging the mouth out a little more with sticks bit didnt work. Only opened it up a little more.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I have heard lots about the playdo including people who say that it is glorified snagging. I really don't buy into that though. It looks more like artificial eggs/skein to me that the fish probably mouth because of the colors.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I will have to disagree with you koolaid2313 that Kings actual bite on play doh. I have not being fishing Kenosha Harbor as long as you have but spent a GOOD amount of time there talking to the locals and other anglers to know how to fish that habor. I have done fairly well there this fall for Kings. The brown trout I have dialed in pretty good. The only place people fish play doh is in pikes creek an no where else. Yes some do use it in the harbor but never catch anything. When someone hooks up I always run over there and ask, what yet get him on or I will net the fish for them so I can see what they are using and play doh was never the bait. The reason play doh is so effective in pikes creek is because when Kings get trapped in that deep hole behind that bridge because of low water all they do is swim in circles. The oxygen level in those wholes are fairly low because there is no current or vegatation just mud. The kings will swim with there mouths open gasping for air and thats how teh fish gets hooked in the mouth. THEY SWIM INTO IT. I have seen it all people using lighting sticks, Cigarette butts yep Cigarette butts, and hook into fish in the mouth. Something that floats a feet of the bottom Do you see anglers use play doh to catch Kings in the harbor? I 've seen people use it in the harbor but never catch anything. Also do you see people using play doh on a float? :roll: I never have. Believe me I 've talked to enough old timers out there that even they said Kings to not bite play doh. If play doh is so effective then how come anglers dont us it in the Root, Milwaukee, or Sheyboygan River and just Pike? Have you ever hear anglers trolling with play doh?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I just Can't wait until the steelies run on the Root. But this Year I for sure need to hit the Sheboygan like I use to in the old days. I miss gettn' some steelies on the fly rod! I'm Pumped already! The Browns should be making there way up the root already and all through winter and spring with the steelies. As long as the CFS is all good! 8)

I'm Pumped! :p

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Larry, Yea man... You need to get urself a steelie on the fly rod. I know last year u wanted to, You hooked up. But it was a challenge with the flows last year. :?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I say by next week the browns should be working there way up to the root still a little bit early. I know the cohos are in thats for sure and the browns are not to far away :D .

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.