Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday 10/25/08
Lauched the rental boat at 630. First worked the SE corner of the Lake and did not get anything. 745 we moved to the South Side of the lake. We picked up just a small pike about 18 inches on a texas rigged worm. By 1000AM. The Wind picked up and it was horrible fish just completley shut down. Wind was horrbile, the air temp was about 50 degrees. WHITE CAP WAVES non stop. Really stirred up the water and muck. Went in for lunch at 11AM. Got out around 1PM.

Worked the whole northeast, north, and part of the northwest side of the lake. AGain got nothing, not even a nibble. These were by far the worst conditions i have even fished in. The waves were almost 5 feet tall. After we called it a day at 5PM. We asked a bunch of guys if they caught anything. A lot said no, some had a decent day. Some other guy found a honey hole of walleye and pike. Caught around 20 fish. In 25-40 feet of water in Browns Channel. So either I REALLY SUCK or it was just a bad day to fish.

October 26 Sunday
Woke up at 6Am hoping to catch some bluegill and work off a skunk from the previous day. As i went down to the pier of my hotel. I was greeted by even stronger winds and waves that were just about 4-5 feet tall. I was pissed. Both days wind was coming out of the North East. I was facing the north east. So forget about the bluegill. I put on a shallow crank and fished that. Some other guys fished the dock next to us with chubs and got nothing. Did get one bump on a yellow minus one manns crank bait. As the morning went on it got worse with the cold wind and waves. Went back to the hotel and warmed up. I came out with a storm kickin minnow and managed to get a pike. About 20 inches. After that i had enough.

My advice: Wait till next week end or after that. Delavan has not turned over yet. Water temp was 57 degrees and water was staind. This week is going to be cold as hell. Hopefully this weeks weather will turn the lake over and turn on the walleye.

I LITERALLY THREW EVERY LURE IN MY BOX AT DIFFERENT DEPTHS AND DIDNT EVEN GET A BITE. MAY BE NEXT TIME. I even tried live bait. With leeches and chubs and roaches.

Weekends catch
2 Northern
1 Cold ( Im sick) :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i had a tournament today with white caps, 40 degree weather, snow, and wind gusts... and i caught a 3lb and 4lb bass :D . anyways dude dont give up, that was my first time fishing there to be honest :? . but go in the summer when the bass will be easier to catch! congrats on your northern however!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I love those conditions dude! Hey I might have saw you Saturday. Did you rent from Geneva Bait and Tackle? I passed a rental boat by the sailing place as I was heading back to the launch around 2. I had the exact same results, only I lost my two 20 ish pike by the boat, dont feel so bad. Both on deep diving cranks outside the weed edge 10-12 ft. One thing I will say is that good rain gear is priceless on days like that. Even though it never really ended up raining, it keeps the spray from the waves and wind off you. Makes for a much more comfortable day.

·
Super Moderator
6,234 Posts
Nut, those were very tough conditions. I give you lots of credit for even trying. Delavan can be a great lake, but this weekend was definitly not the best conditions to try to learn the lake.

·
Registered
825 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
I love those conditions dude! One thing I will say is that good rain gear is priceless on days like that. Even though it never really ended up raining, it keeps the spray from the waves and wind off you. Makes for a much more comfortable day.
LOL! What would you rather fish in? wind, snow, cold, or nonstop boat wakes?

My next major purchase is going to be a Goretex, heavy-duty rainsuit. I fiugre I'm tired of being miserable in the early spring and late fall/winter. Boy that stuff is expensive. Good fishing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Gortex is the way to go they kick butt. Water proof as well as wind proof. Keep me warm no matter what. Always keep it on my even in the summer lol. There are sales at Cabelas if you are a asmaller size

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
twoglasseyes said:
I love those conditions dude! Hey I might have saw you Saturday. Did you rent from Geneva Bait and Tackle? I passed a rental boat by the sailing place as I was heading back to the launch around 2. I had the exact same results, only I lost my two 20 ish pike by the boat, dont feel so bad. Both on deep diving cranks outside the weed edge 10-12 ft. One thing I will say is that good rain gear is priceless on days like that. Even though it never really ended up raining, it keeps the spray from the waves and wind off you. Makes for a much more comfortable day.
i actually rented from Delavan Bait and Tackle

·
Registered
400 Posts
ejeraser said:
Gortex is the way to go they kick butt. Water proof as well as wind proof. Keep me warm no matter what. Always keep it on my even in the summer lol. There are sales at Cabelas if you are a asmaller size
I was in full Gortex snowmobile gear. I was waterproof and very warm in that horrible weather. I was skunked at the tournament on Sunday but my partner (Big Bass Lee) brought it home. I'm glad I was not in one of the light Gortex rainsuits.

·
Registered
308 Posts
GoreTex! I love it. The 100 mph stuff from Bass Pro rules. Koolaid hated taking a wave while we were running. I lost my favorite visor but it velcro itself to the motor. I thought I lost it until I put the boat on the trailer. Wow that was lucky. Lucky Craft visor.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wear visors because my head gets sweaty in hats. I'm wearing one in my picture. In the summer they're great. I just want to block the sun. I wrap it around my ankle when I'm running my boat fast. I'll sell you some. I have a bunch.

·
Registered
825 Posts
basser913 said:
Sweet Ride Lee. Love the dual console. I am a co angler and its Cold in the single consoles at top speed and the rain hurts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear ya Basser. That console sure is nice in nasty conditions. The only downside is that with a half a dozen rods and a tackle bag, I'm all cramped up. But hey- I'm just glad I am fishing in a really nice boat instead of my dinky, tin can. Good fishing.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Paul S said:
basser913 said:
Sweet Ride Lee. Love the dual console. I am a co angler and its Cold in the single consoles at top speed and the rain hurts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hear ya Basser. That console sure is nice in nasty conditions. The only downside is that with a half a dozen rods and a tackle bag, I'm all cramped up. But hey- I'm just glad I am fishing in a really nice boat instead of my dinky, tin can. Good fishing.
I always set a compartment open to a co-angler. Plenty of room for 6 rods and nice size tackle box. If you need a lure, just ask. Plenty of built in cooler space for the celebration booze. J/k. Pops water and gatorade on my boat. This boat has been through so much with me. It always got me through all stupid stuff I've done hunting lunkers.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Lee,
Your boat looks awesome. I can't imagine fishing out of a boat that is nearly 21' long. I'm sure all your co-anglers thank you for keeping that compartment open for them. I fished with a guy a couple weeks back who had the dual and he had a back compartment clear for all my tackle. That was great.

I've been on the flip-side too. A 19' dual console with rods and a tackle bag gets a little cramped. I fished with a guy with an 18' with the dual and he had his tackle bag out rather than stowing it. That was a little annoying but I like I said earlier, I always feel fortunate to fish out of someone's boat. I guess I just need to my next boat so I can stop being a co-angler. Good fishing.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fished Geneva got only one bass right away and that was it. THought is was going to be a great day. Cold and windy but what can you do this time of year. Going back out tomarrow morning with a Pro guide BOb. Well see what I can learn. Let you guys know if I can get anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.