Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday 10/25/08
Lauched the rental boat at 630. First worked the SE corner of the Lake and did not get anything. 745 we moved to the South Side of the lake. We picked up just a small pike about 18 inches on a texas rigged worm. By 1000AM. The Wind picked up and it was horrible fish just completley shut down. Wind was horrbile, the air temp was about 50 degrees. WHITE CAP WAVES non stop. Really stirred up the water and muck. Went in for lunch at 11AM. Got out around 1PM.

Worked the whole northeast, north, and part of the northwest side of the lake. AGain got nothing, not even a nibble. These were by far the worst conditions i have even fished in. The waves were almost 5 feet tall. After we called it a day at 5PM. We asked a bunch of guys if they caught anything. A lot said no, some had a decent day. Some other guy found a honey hole of walleye and pike. Caught around 20 fish. In 25-40 feet of water in Browns Channel. So either I REALLY SUCK or it was just a bad day to fish.

October 26 Sunday
Woke up at 6Am hoping to catch some bluegill and work off a skunk from the previous day. As i went down to the pier of my hotel. I was greeted by even stronger winds and waves that were just about 4-5 feet tall. I was pissed. Both days wind was coming out of the North East. I was facing the north east. So forget about the bluegill. I put on a shallow crank and fished that. Some other guys fished the dock next to us with chubs and got nothing. Did get one bump on a yellow minus one manns crank bait. As the morning went on it got worse with the cold wind and waves. Went back to the hotel and warmed up. I came out with a storm kickin minnow and managed to get a pike. About 20 inches. After that i had enough.

My advice: Wait till next week end or after that. Delavan has not turned over yet. Water temp was 57 degrees and water was staind. This week is going to be cold as hell. Hopefully this weeks weather will turn the lake over and turn on the walleye.

I LITERALLY THREW EVERY LURE IN MY BOX AT DIFFERENT DEPTHS AND DIDNT EVEN GET A BITE. MAY BE NEXT TIME. I even tried live bait. With leeches and chubs and roaches.

Weekends catch
2 Northern
1 Cold ( Im sick) :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
twoglasseyes said:
I love those conditions dude! Hey I might have saw you Saturday. Did you rent from Geneva Bait and Tackle? I passed a rental boat by the sailing place as I was heading back to the launch around 2. I had the exact same results, only I lost my two 20 ish pike by the boat, dont feel so bad. Both on deep diving cranks outside the weed edge 10-12 ft. One thing I will say is that good rain gear is priceless on days like that. Even though it never really ended up raining, it keeps the spray from the waves and wind off you. Makes for a much more comfortable day.
i actually rented from Delavan Bait and Tackle

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.