Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, the wife and kiddies went up to Wisconsin Dells for the long weekend. I decided to sneak a fishing rig and a small satchel of gear in the car "just in case". We moved from Wilderness Resort to "Wilderness on the Lake" on Sunday, so Lake Delton was the view out the patio of our room. It was really nice. I got up early monday morning with a plan to walk to shoreline. The first spot I checked was a nearby boat launch, and it turns out the bite was hot.

I was throwing Texas-rigged Senkos for the most part. A storm came through the night before and had tons of debris in the water, making it hard to fish much other than plastics without constantly dragging in twigs, leaves, sticks and weeds. Besides, the Senkos were producing, so while I experimented for about 15 minutes, I then decided to stay with what was working. The fish seemed really aggressive...almost too good to be true. Do you guys think we're still pre-spawn?

I fished from 6:30am to about 8:45. I landed 8 or 9 fish (lost count at one point), got broken off twice (there was timber in the water), and lost 5 or 6. Interestingly, all of the lost fish were using worm hooks, and I stopped losing them when I switched to a wide-gap octopus/circle style hook. I have to wonder if I'm just not rigging those hooks properly.

One of the lost ones was a great fight right in front of a pair of fisherman in a boat working the same shorline I was on. He jumped way out of the water, and shortly after landing the Senko came flying out. Those guys were actually cheering me on.

I'm curious if anyone here knows much about Lake Delton. Is a good bass fishery, or was I just in the right place at the right time?

I took photos of a few with my crappy cell phone cam. Here's the ones I got. I think two of these were the same fish, and I might have snapped him twice by mistake. Anyway, it was a fun couple of hours.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would guess those lakes up in Wisconsin may still be prespawn if they are behind us in water temperature.

8-9 bass sounds like a pretty good time! Lake Delton is the one the Tommy Bartlett show is on right?

Many years ago I went fishing out there with my dad early morning during our family vacation in the Dells.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Culprit. That rod was custom made by my brother Joe. It's a two piece St. Croix SC II blank. He's a really a talented rod maker. He and I are both huge fans of the split grip. I've got a couple others that he's made for me that are just awesome, and also feature the split grip. He also did one for me with the cut-out in the fore-finger so that you can have contact with the blank for sensitivity, kinda like the Shimano Compre and Crucial series. He's currently making a pair of 6' 9" medium light, extra fast action rods on one-piece St. Croix SC III blanks. I'm hoping to talk him into selling me one. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.