Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a ride with Rich to do some Walleye fishing on the Michigan side on Friday. I carefully looked at the weather and they were calling for 1 foot waves until late Friday night when they were suppose to start building to 3-5 so sure as crap waves were already 1-3 when we arrived 530 pm eastern time. Trolled for a hour or so without a bump as waves were building stronger so we yanked the boat out and did some casting countdown rapalas from shore for a bit and agreed that our goal was to boat fish out there and we were very limited now so we headed for home. Spoke with locals up there and the nearshore bite is on and off depending on wave direction and time of night. I already knew some of the stuff they told us as i always read in years past in the midwest outdoors magazine about the nearshore walleye bite. On a bright note i payed 2.15 a gallon for gas :D The fish got the better of us this time around. We knew what our chances and hurdles would be fishing on Erie and rolled the dice and lost :cry:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Why don't you troll the river? The Detroit river should be full of walleye and smallmouth right now. The musky guys are there too. When Erie is rough, I fish the river always. The 10 lbers out there are getting fat right now. Lake St.Clair has a lot of fish too. Which way was the wind coming from?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lee for the tips but this was basically a last minute call. I met a guy Salmon fishing at Waukegan and helped him out for some spring Coho's and he lives in Michigan but his father a retired CPA lives a few blocks away from me has been inviting me to go up there for a year now so i called him and it looked like a go. I am aware of the Detroit, Maumme, Sandusky, rivers up there but we wanted to hit the Bolles area. Winds were west but shifting from the south in a hurry. I never second guess where i go anymore. I used to say i should have went there but i dont buy into that anymore. We just pick a place and go but we do it more the old fashion way like calling bait shops and contacts we have met in person and going through old magazines we were subscribed to
for additional info. Stuff thats on the internet needs to be taken with a grain of salt expecially when driving a long distance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.