Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a 6 man charter out of Oak Harbor for eyes on Thursday and Friday. Unfortunately upon arrival the captain said the drift fishing was very slow due to the mayfly hatch which had just started a couple of days ago. The trolling bite was hot though. 2 members of our crew were charter captains on the big pond so we made the decision to drift the first day, regardless of the results. Apparently they were a little tired of trolling (can't blame them), so drifting it was. We started off very slow with the first spot producing zip. I got the first eye at the next spot and we picked away at them catching lots of perch, drum, and white bass along the way. We finally figured out a method to catch them in the afternoon and we got on some nice fish and wound up with 25 in the box for the day, 11 short of a limit. The next day we started out drifting again, and after only having a few in the box we switched to the troll. It was an interesting setup, which was fun to run. We had good action and limited out early with a bunch more "rough fish" along the way. I was really amazed at how the whole culture of that area revolves around the fishing. It was pretty cool to soak it all in and fish somewhere completely new. Once I finally get my Lund Pro V, look out :wink: Pictures forthcoming..........

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Those are some nice eyes Matt. I have been to Lake Erie twice out of the Port Clinton area. Both times we did drift fishing. You are right about how much the area revolves around fishing.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yami, we just need a few more fish to supplement what I have in the freezer and we are well on our way. I wish I would of kept some crappie from Shabbona but I'm sure we will get some eaters next month up in WI :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.