Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temps in the 80 wind from the west 10-15 light rain/sunshine on and off
3:00pm to 7:00pm

Not a good day for fishing or a party but we had both.
Started fishing about 3:00am. Fished senko's no action. Lots of bites(blue gills I think)

lots of kids at the party so I decided to teach them how to catch blue gills.
They had a blast :D ..just used salami and a bobber. The kids caught about 20 or so blue gills some kids had never caught a fish before were just thrilled to get one on the line. :lol:

Weather got much better about 5:00pm. The wind slowed and the water became very calm BUT it was dinner time and we had to stop fishing to eat.

About 6:00pm we were all down by the dock eating when I saw a group of shad run. Then in the same spot another shad run. (I know something is feeding there) I grabed my pole and with the water being so calm now i put on a shad jitter bug and walked over to the next dock and casted right were the shad were. I Just got the gitter bug moving and BAM that bass hit that topwater bait like a truck. Nice fish 17" lm. The kids all came over to see and touch the big bass.... a few 'quick' pictures were taken with me and all the kids and I got the fish back in the water and he swan off just fine.

The rest on the night produuced 3 more bass 12", 12" , 8" on top waters and senko's and a small pike 12 " baby pike

SUNDAY:

Fished from 12:00pm to 3:00pm overcast and windy. Fished senko's and got another 5 bass and one HUGE pike but lost him. The Pike hit a SENKO :shock: close to the doc on a fast retrieve just getting ready to cast again suprised the heck out of me ........he came out of no where
so I never go a good hook set.

A fun weekend fishing with the all the kids :wink: and (they called me Mr. Mike all day) and catching 9 bass and 1 pike(lost that second big one)

Getting the kids into fishing was really fun. (plus then I got to fish with no nagging ) :lol:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
It`s a great thing teaching kids to fish.
I do the same thing with all the kids in my family,a few times a year I take them all out fishing,I dont get to fish too busy untangling lol,its a blast watching those kids land fish! :D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did lots of line fixing Saturday that's for sure.......lol

The older kids did get better with a few quick tips on when to let the button go. Most got the hang of it by the end of the day. The funny thing was they were all at the doc waiting for me to get them going again on Sunday.

The were "Hooked" :D

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
there's just something about seeing a kid catch his/her first fish. it's something they will always treasure. i take my church kids out a couple times a year and they always ask when we are going again. i don't have enough rigs for all the kids so if any of you have any that's not seeing any use, it would be awesome if you could donate to a good cause. i'm planning a dad/mom and kid fishing trip. many of these parents have never fished themselves so it would be a great way to have the parents and their kids to interact with each other outside of their homes in the outdoors. we could use all the donations we could get.

great job mike. they will always remember their first fishing coach. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I remember the first time my grandpa took me fishin, we didn't even catch any fish but I had a blast trudging thru the woods to get to his "secret spot". The thrill of the chase is the best part, for me, and I think he knew it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts