Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My parents retired and moved to the Gelena territory...and sat i took advantage of that and fished lake galena.

hit the water at 840 am, marina didnt open till 830...slackers! hehe just kidding it was a super crappy morning and they prolly thought no nutcase would wanna rent a boat.

well we did.

it was way to windy to take out a john boat, so we took out a poonton boat.

windy, raining, 20 degrees cooler than the day before...i still caught a few.

my first fish on a chatterbait!

:D

we only got to fish what the map was called north cover before we packed it back to the marina.....wind was takin the poontoon all over the place making it more frustrating than fun....but it was still fun....i finally got a couple of the chatter!

we got off the water at 1035.

we went to the territory inn. had a beer and some lunch....and guess what it clear up and be came kinda nice for a while.

soo we went back to the shore fishing area and threw spinner baits for about and hour and a half. 8)

jessica got hers pitching a stike king 3/16 oz. bleeding hook spinner bait at the docks.

i got all mine on a Cochran's lil' Mr. Money spinnerbait, white. this the best one i think.

i also found 2 cranks baits that got wased up to shore in the chop, All in all it was a really fun day! :D

JayPee the hhf.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
nice day guys! those are some nice bass! i thought you were going smallmouth fishing? Whatever I would take those largemouth anyday over smallmout. Congrats on your chatterbait hog!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Hey Jaypee, great post....I love that lake. My brother has a house out there and I've been going out there for the last couple of years. It's too bad that the weekend you chose to go out had a bout of bad weather. Looks like you made the most of it tho. Did you say that they are already renting boats at the marina? Are the hours limited to weekend only? I've caught alot of fish out of that lake it is really a great bass lake due to catch and release. In the next couple of weeks or so the fish should really be on fire due to prespawn. Shoreline fishing, where accessible, should be the bomb. Thanks for the post, I gotta get out there.

JB

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Nice report jaypee! I'll be heading up there this weekend for our yearly golf outing. Not looking forward to the $135 round anyways never new that they rent boats at the marina. I'll have to check it out. thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JB, yes they are renting boats, and no not weekend hours. There is a new marina manger this year, her name is Debbie and she told me they wanna get the most use out of the lake this year.

Yes this is a kick a$$ bass lake!!! very well managed for all the fish. (Walleyes , perch and tiger muskies)

this was the toughest it has been for me, ever. ( and i still take it)

I usally fish the spring and fall classic tournaments up there...and thanks it really was a report for you...( I saw your previous 2 post about it, and thought well he fishes it, and might appericate the info)

Thanks for the reply.

and legend, yes it is crazy expensive to play a round there...but worth it.( well worth it if your good at golf, i am not and would never pay that much to make a fool out of my self.) my father pays a little less then that(Property owner price) , to make a fool out of himself 3 times a week.
hehe

JayPee

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Thanks Jaypee! Those Galena posts are few and far between. It's tough to make a post on that place cuz of the limitations imposed.

The last post was when I was at work so I kind of had to make it quick. But i have alot of respect for that lake and as you had mentioned there is a great variety of species to be had up there. Maybe I'll limit some of the rambling details to a PM to ya. In the meantime, I appreciate the info on the marina. I was always surprised that the limitations they put on rentals as far as the season goes. I would be more then happy to fish that lake into the late fall but since I am a weekend dweller the rentals seemed to be cutoff too early in seasons past. With limited accessible shoreline, I was always put to the test when the rentals stopped. There are a couple of shorelines that provided alot of fun early spring and latter fall. I've also seen some pigs drawn right from around the marina :wink: .

They've had a restriction on largemouth for sometime now and I think it has had a positive impact on the fishery. Although I don't agree in the extensiveness that they've imposed, I don't keep very many fish to begin with anyway. I've never kept any fish from that lake, but I think that has alot to do with my general laziness more then anything.

The shoreline that is accessible only by boat is to say the least, incredible at times. Each inlet can be promising to big bass when the conditions are right. Just like any region tho it can be challenging when the weather turns on ya. I really want to get up there on a good weather prespawn weekend and I know that window is closing fast. Hopefully you can get up there a couple more times and provide us with some more incredible fish.

Legend-
From what I understand they just jacked up the golf rates again this year. The rate is somewhat insane, IMHO and even for those that are "residents" it is a ridiculous charge. Very little discount is given to those residents and the only way you make a deal out of it is if you hit the links quite often. On the other hand, I have played a few rounds and it is something else. Some of the fairways are just incredible and the scenery cannot be matched. Bring your game and the handicap will indeed be challenged still. There is one hole in particular, the # escapes me but it is a short run that basically tees off from a very steep incline and if you shank it, start over. It's a deep pit that is surrounded by trees, if you don't hit the mark, bring the machete. Have fun out there and remember, as I try to, it's about each drive not about the game overall... :lol:
You'll know what I mean when you're playing it. Stuff the fishing pole in the bag cuz there are some water shots that you'll wish you did. Don't worry about holding people up on those runs.....they should understand!

JB

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
JB said:
Legend-
From what I understand they just jacked up the golf rates again this year. The rate is somewhat insane, IMHO and even for those that are "residents" it is a ridiculous charge. Very little discount is given to those residents and the only way you make a deal out of it is if you hit the links quite often. On the other hand, I have played a few rounds and it is something else. Some of the fairways are just incredible and the scenery cannot be matched. Bring your game and the handicap will indeed be challenged still. There is one hole in particular, the # escapes me but it is a short run that basically tees off from a very steep incline and if you shank it, start over. It's a deep pit that is surrounded by trees, if you don't hit the mark, bring the machete. Have fun out there and remember, as I try to, it's about each drive not about the game overall... :lol:
You'll know what I mean when you're playing it. Stuff the fishing pole in the bag cuz there are some water shots that you'll wish you did. Don't worry about holding people up on those runs.....they should understand!

JB
I know what you mean JB the scenery is breath taking there.
The rate for the General is $135 a round when we made our tee time for this weekend. Last year it was $125 and you can bet I will have a couple rods with me.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is that a private lake like Apple Canyon is, and only open to residents of the development? Or is it open to the public?

*Never mind, I found it's private acces only.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well after some thought, i decided to post this report attached to my lake galena report. (Jessica's co- workers don't believe her fish tales, so she wanted me to add the pics up here, so she can show off!)

After staying at my parents house in Galena Sat. night, and watching the weather. we decided Sunday would be a perfect day to stop at one my fav. fishing spots.... well it was on the way home you know what i mean!

Just off of route 20, we turned and headed to Apple River Caynon State Park.

I have had 60+ fish days at this park, nothing ever huge but that many fish in one day sure is fun, and i wanted to get my first smallie of the year.

We parked the car...and headed to the parks main fishing hole...

We started out throwing spinner baits( the ones we had still tied on from lake galena) nothing at the first hole.

Jessica move up river while i still could still see in my mind a nice smallie coming out of this first hole and wacking my spinner bait.... it never happened so i made my way toward the direction jessica went in.

i find her....haha ...she is covered in mud up to here knees,(AHHH her poor UUGGS boots or whatever thoes thing are called hehe) and i ask her what happened? ...and she goes into it....

"I was standing on this bank, working on my side arm cast...trying to get into that calm area under that tree...( Im lookin like wow that is a really tough cast)...well i did it, and after 2 cranks i got the biggest bite i have ever had, it pulled the rod of of my hand and i had to jump down to the mud to grab it... i just laughed and said " ya, big smallies get wild!"

she lost the fish :( went back to the car changed her boots...

and we continued up river.

i managed 2 dinky smallies on my spinner bait. but i take em.

Jessica took her spinner bait off and started fishing a 3 inch tan and white powerbait grub, texas rigged on a 1/0 worm hook.

she hit the fast water spots and was picking off trout one by one.
it was wild, every cast she would hook one and they would go airborn.
( i thought her fishing might just be a fad, or she just really wanted to hang out with me and knew what i would be doing, but she really gettin good, and if she wasnt hooked before she is now :D )

we kept 2 for dinner that were badly hooked. :D :D

Here is her best one landed ( excuse the deadly grip, she was having problems holding the fish) she lost at least 2 that were larger than this one. but here is troutmaster jessica.

The day was a BLAST.

Keep fishing guys!

JayPee The HHF!

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nice trouters! I beleive all trout taken on Apple River are catch and take only. The DNR doesn't want them returned, since they'll die off come the warmer weather in June/July anyway.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
That is a good stop off on the way home from Galena. The area is pretty impressive looking and there are a couple nice pools that the river runs thru on it's way thru the park. I'm impressed by the numbers that you've caught on previous outings. I believe the river does hold some nice fish but you can't go wrong in the numbers department. Definately a great area to do some exploring in. Thanks for the add on....I haven't been over to ARC since last summer.

JB

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
man I got all excited when I saw the header and realized it was an old post. I still read it again tho. :D

I should be going out there sometime probably first or second week in april. Fish should be on at that point...I hope.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.