Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haven't posted in a while but was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice on finding fish and what lures to use on this lake. I'm going up there this saturday and plan on fishing mid morning until sunset. I've been through just about every post on lake geneva in this forum and would just like to know if theres any information that i should know that would help me out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Im not that good on Geneva, but I would follow the depth info coyote and matt posted in their latest posts. That is good info. Work your way deeper or shallower accordingly.

And small minnow type lures will get you non-stop rock bass most times, if its a slow day for the other bass :wink:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twoglasseyes said:
Im not that good on Geneva, but I would follow the depth info coyote and matt posted in their latest posts. That is good info. Work your way deeper or shallower accordingly.

And small minnow type lures will get you non-stop rock bass most times, if its a slow day for the other bass :wink:
thanks for the tip, yea today in the sun times fishing report they said smallmouth in 25-35 feet on main lake point weed edges, i guess i'll start there with tubes/jigs and if all else fails try moving towards shore. coyote and matt do share some good info and seem to kill the fish on that lake.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Steve, as the water cools think main lake points. The smallies will soon follow the perch out to them and start schooling and feeding heavily. Besides your basic plastics, nightcrawlers, roaches, or even small perch can be very effective on those spots.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was out there on Geneva this morning started at 7am left around 12pm. Got skunked for the first time ever on the lake. Usually I run into rock bass or bluegill. Nothing at all. Worked 20-35ft of water with tubes, jigs, and rapalas. Nothing at all. LAst time I was there about 3 weeks ago I picked up a 26 inch northern Pike. Was a good fight. I do know the paper is saying 25-30ft of water for bass action and that is about it going on there as far as I know. I was just really Dipped today about the skunk.

·
Registered
826 Posts
RSS said:
1 tip 4-6lb line. I use P-line CXX
I used 6lb CXX for several years and it is great line. I now use 8lb P-Line flourocarbon and I like it even better. It has a little more memory but it is nearly invisible and tougher.

Tip #2 Don't ever overfill a spinning spool with flourocarbon.

Good luck out there and let us know how you do!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you everyone for the tips. there is a great group of fisherman here that are willing to share their knowledge to help others out and that is what makes this site so great. thanks again and i'll be back with a report on sunday.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Another 2 Words... Robo Worm
I love those things. When I saw them on the store shelf last year I bought into them. I was back the next week and nearly cleared them out. They fall apart about as quickly as Senkos....maybe a bit tougher but a great bait none the less. I was actually putting them on a Charlie Brewer slider rig.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Not on Geneva, but I know a few just a couple miles down the road on Lake Como if your interested?
1.50 Domestic Drafts at Lake Como last Winter when I went to them. It's some what hole in the wall bars though...

Or you have "Fischers Bar and Grill" I believe it's on "Buttons Bay" on Lake Geneva, I've been there once last year, but was just up there with some friends. Not to fish, It's right on the lake. Nice back deck, Good Food, Great Service and a Beautiful View of the Lake.

There Blu Cheese Burger was deliciouse!

For the Specials. I wouldn't think there would be much of a special on a saturday night, especially knowing it's on the lake. If it was a weekday, i'm sure there are some specials to bring in some more business. Hope this helps...

Dave

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
last friday i was at some place called Champs sports bar in Geneva...actually i hated the crowd in there....minus the people i came with....but they had dollar jager bombs and shots...

needless to say I left pretty trashed, with still alot of cash in my pocket! :D

on a different note...Egg Harbor Cafe, had some kick @$$ rasin french toast!

Good luck out there!

JayPee the HHF!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, fish caught were : rock bass, 30" northern, and 14" largemouth. had a hard time marking fish and finding a pattern, all fish were caught in the same spot. had a few follows from a nice size northern. tried targeting smallies in 25-35 fow but nothing to show for. i guess i'll just need to spend some more time on that lake to try and develop a pattern and mark some spots. boating traffic was heavy and the wind picked up later in the day. overall fishing could of been better but had a great time at the bar that night so it was worth the trip.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Stevo,

Keep at it. It's tough when you are learning a lake and don't have a history to fall back on. Then you read about other people doing well when they are veterans of the body of water. You'll get 'em next time. Good fishing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.