Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last Door County trip in late July, I turned my focus to Lake Geneva night fishing. The last few years I have done very well using vertical presentations, but had a hard time getting a consistent bite going this year. My buddy Adam fished with me almost every weekend in August and September, and this year we did much better casting search baits and trolling. Once we dialed it in it started to get ridiculous with 50-60 fish nights with a combo of walleye, bass, pike, and even some big muskie. As soon as the weather started to cool though, the catch rates went back down and although we caught some big fish, the numbers were not there. Unfortunately I have to store my boat or I would be out there trying to figure out the late fall/winter bite that produces the giants.

All in all, it was great to finally really figure out some patterns on Lake Geneva, as well as get some of our friends and family members out to experience it. Our buddy Billy fishes in Canada every year and he said (it was a REALLY good night) that it was the best walleye fishing of his life. Who knows, next year could be completely different, but it is a blessing to have a quality fishery so close to home.

Vertebrate Smile Fish Fin Fisherman
Smile Fish Bermuda shorts Shorts Tire
Footwear Shoe Shorts Textile Gesture
Water Sky Boat Shorts Watercraft
Shorts Photograph Smile Tree Fish
Shorts Smile Tree Bermuda shorts Motor vehicle
Vertebrate Food Jaw Fish Seafood
Vertebrate Fish Fisherman Recreation Fishing
Vertebrate Smile Tree Fish Plant
Vertebrate Smile Fisherman Water Fish

Registered
Wow way to go Matt. Back in the early 80s I went on a Canadian fishing trip and Fishing Facts editor Spence Petros was there and gave nightly seminars about fishing our local waters. I remember him saying that Geneva was a fantastic fishery. He mainly talked about the huge northern it held and that generally the big fish were to be found in very deep water not the shallow weedy areas.

Too bad you have to put the boat away. No telling what you could do.

~JOE~

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Cbatt2, LG is definetly up and coming as the musky stocking has been aggressive the last several years. The fish have shown good growth rates and there are already 50 inch class fish in the system. They can be hard to target, as with many LG big fish, they literally have a buffet to eat over open water. We caught a 45 and a 48 trolling for walleye this year and had a few big fish shake off as well.

Water Sky Boat Shorts Watercraft

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe, the few guys that I know that fish December all the way to ice up have results that are unbelievable. Big number nights with several fish at or over 30 inches. I am in need of a heated garage and a 4 horse kicker motor to take advantage of that. It is hard-core fishing for sure. Definetly the time to get a wall hanger along with huge browns and Lakers that finally come shallow in the cold water.

Fish Tail Fin Event Darkness

Registered
Amazing to find that great of a walleye bite so close to home. I got my personal best walleye on one of the trips and it was best walleye day that I have ever experienced. Usually you can get numbers or size but I have never seen both at the same time before. It was a blast getting out there and I appreciate the invites. I am already thinking about next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts