Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The maiden voyage on Lake Glenview in the kayak. How cool is that? Well, it gets cooler.

Stopped by the park office, purchased my boating permit, and set out for a 6:30pm launch. Sunny with some rain clouds around; temps in the upper 60's, brisk west winds.

Spent a good hour and a half paddling around tossing a spinnerbait and a crankbait and nothing at all was happening. Lake Glenview is much deeper than I thought. It gets deep quick and levels out at about 16' with areas a few feet deeper than that.

Finally, a little after 8pm, I feel something hit and I set the hook... I had a feeling it was something with teeth and then I saw it... a muskie!! Are you kidding!?

The last I spoke with the resources manager a few years ago, she had mentioned they were considering it but no decision had been made at that time. Well I guess they did because I caught one that was 25". I was in absolute disbelief. I still am.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
You post about trying out McCullom, and you precede to tear it up.
You post about boating on Glenview and you nail a surprise Musky.
Seeing a pattern here :think: You're on a roll
Whats the next lake you're going to post on? How about Tampier, and those mythical Walleyes.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Impressive. Still won't be going there.

I remember visiting Glenview as a Cub Scout. I got to sit in the cockpit of a Grumman Panther. State of the art carrier-based fighter of the time.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Busse Jim said:
How about Tampier, and those mythical Walleyes.
Remember that? I had always wanted to go there but way too far. I'm satisfied to have let it slide off the radar.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Guess I better apply for a permit. Were you in a camo sit-on top? If so I saw you pulling into the lot yesterday as I left the train station there. I should keep some gear in my truck to stop after work now that it's light out for more than 45 minutes after I get in.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So in speaking with the Resources Manager of Glenview, Tiger Muskie have been stocked twice in Lake Glenview: 20 fish of 9" - 12" in spring of 2016 and 40 fish of 9" - 12" in spring of 2017. Is that a Tiger Muskie I caught? Could it have grown that big in a year?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Sure looks like it could be a tiger. Hard to tell, as they can look basically identical. The narrower look to it says tiger to me. The fins look more rounded, whereas a musky has pointed fins on both the tail, and the belly. Can't see the tail, though.

As for the size, depending on the amount of forage it has to feed on, a fish could potentially go from 12 inches to 24 inches in a year. From what I recall, they will be in their 20's in their first year in the system, and 30's in their second year. And it slows significantly from there.

Nice fish, though. You've definitely been on fire this spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.