Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a nice walk around the Lake Glenview today. Temps were record setting in the middle 70's, SW winds 10-15mph. Kinda strange to see people in shorts and t-shirts while the lake is still 90% frozen!

Also, there are about a dozen "groups" of x-mas trees placed out in the middle of the lake waiting to fall through the melting ice. This is a common practice on all lakes to create fishing habitats.

I'm getting a serious jones to do some real bass fishing again. The Busse WWD is fun for a while, but I want summer back NOW!!!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Without the WWD we would all be climbing the walls. It was a winter to remember...now lets for get it and get on with some open water bassin:lol:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I took a walk around the lake on Sunday. The ice looked pretty bad then. It must be pretty close to being completely open. I can't quite figure out why they place the trees out in the middle of the lake and not closer to shore for the fishermen.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
toothdoc said:
I took a walk around the lake on Sunday. The ice looked pretty bad then. It must be pretty close to being completely open. I can't quite figure out why they place the trees out in the middle of the lake and not closer to shore for the fishermen.
If the ice was safe it would be cool to take a walk and mark the christmas trees with a GPS. Then when open water comes you could return to the same spot with a boat and jig!

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna call the girl in charge of the fishery at Lake Glenview to get some info. I have a feeling that the "tree habitats" are to help provide natural nesting for the fish there. Yes, they are all too far for shore fishing to reach but I think that's what they are trying to do.

I'm actually looking for a big year at The Glen this year!

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Hey Jay, when you talk to her, see if there is a reasonable explanation for the 6 month closing of the lake to fishing. This has been brought up by many of us before and if would be nice to know why they don't let you fish the lake until May 15th.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
My guess is they keep it totally closed so late is the let the bass spawn and care for the fry as long as possible. One would think the catch and release would be good enough but how many time have you seen people illeagly keeping fish. I would guess a total ban on fishing is the best way to get a successful spawn. Just a guess. I belive that is the story of why they do it in Lake Geneva and other WI lakes.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Will, I think if that is their reasoning then they should keep it closed longer. I think that around here, bass are still on the beds in May and even later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.