Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit up the Chain for the first time ever today. Went specifically to Lake Marie as they had a reasonable boat rental with a motor and it's supposed to be one of the best fishing lakes in the Chain. I tried to get a musky for a period of time, but I didn't want to go home without catching a fish so I switched to a jig and minnow for most of the time. Turns out I made a good decision as nobody was pulling in the mighty musky today. I caught somewhere around 25-30 fish in my 7 hours of fishing. Most of the time I didn't get a bite, but once I found the schooling fish I was catching a fish almost every cast. Lots of stripers and drum, which were still fun to catch. Also ended up with one 19" channel catfish that I didn't get a picture of as well as 3 walleye (7", 12", and 17.5"). The two larger walleye are pictured below along with the final fish of the day, a 14" drum. All in all a day well worth fishing. :D

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Nice job out there Matt !

All the walleye from around these parts seem very skinny to me :?

Sheepshead have to be the ugliest fish ever lol

Did u rent from Barnacle Bobs ? and if so how much was it ?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't start fishing for walleye until about 2 weeks ago and now I am completely hooked. Especially because the techniques to catch them can result in catching other fish as well. More so than catching other fish on bass fishing techniques.

I rented from Barnacle Bob's and although it was supposed to cost $60 for the full day with a 6hp motor he gave me a nice discount for some reason. :D :D Maybe because it's late in the season. If you have your own motor you can rent a row boat alone for $20 for the day. He also has an 8hp motor and boat rental for $65 and a 9.9hp and boat rental for $75.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
I haven't been out on the Chain in a few years. Always a fun place to fish when its not too crowded.

Nice job out there, Matt!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Islandfisher said:
Nice eyes Matt!
Sean, are you hitting on me?? :? :?

I didn't locate any bass, but they are in there somewhere from what I hear. At $20 a boat, it's only $5 more than Deep Lake so it's definitely a possibility to have a tournament there. There is a ton of boat traffic though. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Way to go Matt. Those are great results for your first time out. I really love that body of water because you have no idea what you are going to pull in. If we have a tourney out there I already call JD as my partner :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.